SCANDI QUILTED TREE SKIRT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 50cm each of 12 assorted Scandi Christmas fabrics
- Or 50cm each of 6 assorted Scandi Christmas fabrics if repeating design
- 2.8m of red Scandi fabric of choice for backing
- 1.4m Sew Easy double-sided fusible, cotton/ bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
Note - As the fabrics are directional all template pieces are cut down the length of the fabric.
- Using centre and edge templates provided cut one piece from each of the 12 fabrics or 2 pieces from each of six fabrics.
Note - After printing out and enlarging the templates and before cutting out, please add 1/8" to each straight side of the Christmas Tree Skirt EDGE only.
- From remaining red fabrics cut - 2 1/2" wide strips across the width of the fabric and join together on the bias to make a binding strip 210" long, then make a second strip 30" long for the centre. 6 x 1 1/2" strips 15" long for ties.
Step 1. Lay out centre and edge pieces and arrange as desired or refer to tree skirt image. Tip - taking a photo of your layout makes it easy to arrange after sewing centre and edge pieces together.
Step 2. Sew centre and edge pieces together pressing seams towards the larger centre piece.
Step 3. Arrange as in step 1 using a pin to mark the two edges that will be left open. Sew first two pairs together down long edges, then continue around sewing next pair together until you have 6 pairs.
Step 4. Sew first pair to second pair then third pair to fourth pair. Sew 3 sections together and press seams in one direction.
Step 5. Cut backing fabric into 2 x 55" lengths, remove selvedge and sew together lengthways using 1/2" seam. Press seam open. Trim backing into a 55" square.
Step 6. Fuse batting between skirt top and backing or layer the backing, batting and skirt top and baste together taking care not to pull skirt top out of alignment. Do not cut, work with batting and backing in a square. Quilt as desired. We quilted 1/4" on each side of the long seams.
Step 7. Trim excess batting and backing from around outside edge and each side of the opening and around the inside circle.
Step 8. Press 210" binding strip in half lengthwise and starting at the top of the left front edge attach binding down the front all the way around the edge and back up the right front edge. Trim off any excess binding and attach binding to back of skirt.
Step 9. Press 30" binding strip in half lengthwise. Fold one end in 1/4" and stitch across. Starting at top of right-hand edge sew binding around inside circle. Trim off excess binding, fold end in and sew to back of skirt.
Step 10. For ties use the six 1 1/2" x 15" strips. Fold each strip in 1/4" down each long side and press. Fold ends in 1/4" then fold strip in half and press. Sew across end, down side and across other end. Sew to inside edge of binding - first below top of inside circle, second 8" down and third a.