LAVISH FIESTA HANDBAG
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Fabrics are from Lavish Fiesta range
- 40cm Fabric A - Lavish Fiesta Blocks
- 20cm Fabric B - Lavish Fiesta Blanket Stripe
- 50cm Fabric C - Lavish Fiesta Sugar Skulls
- Bag Chick Bag Handles Plastic Round Wood
- 50cm Legacy SF101 fusible cotton woven interfacing
- 20cm single-sided fusible Peltex
- 50cm Fusible Pellon
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated. Read all instructions carefully before commencing project.
Step 1. For the bag front pin and sew one Fabric B strip to the top edge of a Fabric A rectangle. Press seam open. Repeat with the other Fabric B strip and Fabric A rectangle to make bag back.
Step 2. Fuse the cotton woven interfacing to wrong side of step 1 bag pieces.
Step 3. Pin bag front and back together aligning side and bottom edges. Sew together down side across the bottom and up the other side. Press seams open.
Step 4. To create the base, flatten out the bottom and match the side seam to the seam at the bottom. Pin together. To create a 5" (13cm) base mark 2 1/2" (6.5cm) down from the point and rule across to form a triangle. Stitch across end. Trim seam to 1/4" (6mm), cutting off the point. Repeat for the other end of the base. Press well.
Step 5. Turn bag right side out and fuse the peltex into the base of the bag.
Step 6. Press top edge of bag over 1/2" to the wrong side.
Step 7. Fuse the pellon to wrong side of two lining pieces.
Step 8. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to create the bag lining. Press top edge over ½&rdquo to the wrong side. Do not turn bag lining right side out.
Step 9. Insert lining into bag wrong sides facing and matching side seams pin together around the top edge.
Step 10. For tabs fuse 14" x 5 1/2" strip of woven cotton interfacing to the wrong side of the Fabric B
14" x 5 1/2" strip.
Step 11. Fold one long edge over 1 1/2" and press. Press other long edge 1/4" to the wrong side, then fold over 1 1/4" to overlap first edge. Press well. Topstitch to secure in place. Topstitch down each long side 1/8" from edge. Press well and cut strip into 2 x 6 1/2" lengths.
Step 12. Fold tab over the edge of handle and baste ends of tab together. Repeat for other handle.
Step 13. Insert basted ends of handle tab down 1" between bag and lining in the centre front and pin in place. Repeat inserting other tab in the centre back and pin in place.
Step 14. To sew bag and lining together topstitch around the top 1/8" in from the edge, securing handle tabs within the stitching. Topstitch again 1/4" in from the first row.