VIOLA ON POINT QUILT
What you'll need:
Quilt measures: 40" x 46" (102cm x 117cm)
- Fabrics are from 'Kirsten Katz Viola' range
- 50cm Fabric A - Grande Flora, Navy (includes border)
- 20cm Fabric B - Hyacinths Small, Ivory
- 20cm Fabric C - Plum Flowers, Purple
- 50cm Fabric D - Ditsy Days, Blush (includes binding)
- 20cm Fabric E - Hyacinths Large, Navy
- 20cm Fabric F - Ditsy Days, Dark Plum
- 90cm Fabric G - Prima Homespun, Ivory
- 1.3m Hyacinths Small, Ivory or backing fabric of choice
- 1.3m Cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D, E & F cut 1 x 4?" strip (6 strips in total), crosscut each strip into 7 x 4?" squares for a total of 42 x 4?" squares, then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 84 half-square triangles.
- From Fabric G, ivory homespun cut - 4 x 4�" strips, crosscut strips into 18 x 4�" squares, 2 x 4?" strips, crosscut strips into 11 x 4?" squares, then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 22 half-square triangles, 1 x 5�" square cut twice on the diagonal to make 4 quarter-square triangles.
- From Fabric A cut 4 x 3�" strips for border.
- From Fabric D cut 5 x 2�" strips for binding.
- Mix and match the Fabric A, B, C, D, E & F half-square triangles and sew together in pairs to make 42 half-square triangle units. Press seams towards the darker fabric.
- Lay out the half-square triangle units on point placing a 4�" Fabric G square in between each (Diagram 1).
- Place a Fabric G half-square triangle along sides and top and bottom edges between each half-square triangle unit (Diagram 2).
- 4. Sew together in rows (Diagram 3) starting with Row 1 - Fabric G half-square triangle, half-square triangle unit, Fabric G half-square triangle, Row 2 - Fabric G half-square triangle, half-square triangle unit, Fabric G square, half-square triangle unit, Fabric G half-square triangle. Continue sewing rows together to Row 12. Press seams towards Fabric G squares and triangles.
- Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction. Sew one quarter-square triangle to each corner of the quilt.
- For the border sew one 3�" Fabric A border strip to each side of the quilt. Press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric. Sew remaining strips to the top and bottom of the quilt, press and trim off any excess fabric.
7. Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
- Join the 5 x 2�" binding strips on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.