SPARKLE BLENDER QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Sparkle Blender' range
- 40cm Fabric A - Sparkle Blender, Cream
- 40cm Fabric B - Sparkle Blender, Gold
- 40cm Fabric C - Sparkle Blender, Rose
- 40cm Fabric D - Sparkle Blender, Turquoise
- 40cm Fabric E - Sparkle Blender, Royal
- 40cm Fabric F - Sparkle Blender, Sky
- 40cm Fabric G - Sparkle Blender, Orchid
- 40cm Fabric H - Sparkle Blender, Ruby
- 40cm Fabric I - Sparkle Blender, Steel
- 70cm Fabric J - Sparkle Blender, Grey (includes binding)
- 1.2m Paint Stroke Backing fabric, Gold or colour of choice
- 1.2m x 250cm Cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with ¼" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
¼" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
Quilt measures: 43" x 51½" (109cm x 131cm)
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each Fabrics A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J cut 1 x 4⅞" strip, crosscut each strip into 6 x 4⅞" squares for a total of 60 x 4⅞" squares, then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 120 half-square triangles.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J cut 1 x 2½" strip, crosscut each strip into 6 rectangles 6½" x 2½" for a total of 60 rectangles.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J cut 2 x 2½" strips, crosscut the strips in each colour into 21 x 2½" squares for a total of 210 x 2½" squares.
- From Fabric J cut 5 x 2½" strips for binding.
Note - For each block you will need two 6½" x 2½" rectangles, 7 x 2½" squares and 4 x half-square triangles. Colours can be random or refer to image for colour placement if preferred.
- Select two 6½" x 2½" rectangles, 7 x 2½" squares and 4 x half-square triangles.
- On 4 x 2½" squares draw a diagonal line.
- Place 2 x 2½" marked squares on each end of a 6½" x 2½" rectangle with marked lines facing in towards the centre.
- Sew along the marked lines. Trim off corners with a ¼" seam allowance. Press triangles outwards, pressing seams in one direction. Repeat to make a second unit.
- Sew together the 3 remaining 2½" squares, pressing seams towards centre square.
- Sew the 3 units together matching seams.
- Select 4 half-square triangles. Sew one triangle to each opposite side, press seams towards triangle. Sew remaining two triangles to remaining opposite sides pressing seams towards triangle.
- Repeat Steps 1-7 to make a total of 30 blocks.
- Lay out the blocks in 6 rows with 5 blocks in each row. Sew blocks together in rows, matching seams and pressing seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
- Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
- Join the 5 x 2½" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.