SCENIC ROUTE QUILT
What You'll Need:
- Fabrics are from 'Scenic Route Collection' range
- 50cm Fabric A - Flora, White
- 50cm Fabric B - Ringtail possum, Ivory
- 1.1m Fabric C - Banksia, Black (includes binding)
- 50cm Fabric D - Native Sketch, Sage
- 50cm Fabric E - Natives, Pink
- 50cm Fabric F - Sunflowers, Multi
- 1.4m Fabric G - Prima Homespun, Silver
- 2.8m Fabric H - Prima Homespun, Natural Unseeded
- 2.6m x 250cm wide Backing fabric of choice or 5.2m Scenic Route fabric of choice
- 2.6m Legacy cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
Quilt measures: 67 1/2" x 94 1/2" (171cm x 240cm)
Note: All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D E & F cut 1 x 5" strips (6 strips in total), crosscut each strip into 6 x 5" squares for a total of 36 x 6" squares, 6 squares in each fabric.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D E & F cut 2 x 5 3/8" strips, crosscut each colour set of strips into 12 x 5 3/8" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 24 half-square triangles, for a total of half-square triangles, 24 half-square triangles in each fabric.
- From Fabric G cut 10 x 5 3/8" strips, crosscut strips into 70 x 5 3/8" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 140 half-square triangles.
- From Fabric H cut 20 x 5 3/8" strips, crosscut strips into 140 x 5 3/8" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 2800 half-square triangles.
- From Fabric C cut 9 x 2 1/2" strips for binding.
Friendship Star Block
Step 1 - Take 4 Fabric G half-square triangles, 8 Fabric H half-square
triangles, 4 Fabric C half-square triangles and one
Fabric A square.
Layout as in the block as shown.
Step 2 - Sew together 4 Fabric G and 4 Fabric H half-square triangles, press seams toward Fabric G - sew together 4 Fabric H and 4 Fabric C half-square triangles, press seams toward Fabric C.
Step 3 - Layout the Fabric A square and the half-square triangles as in the block.
Step 4 - Sew blocks together in rows, pressing seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row. Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
Repeat Steps 1-4 to make a total 35 Friendship Star Blocks, using Fabrics A-F as the centre square and half-square triangles with the 4 Fabric G and the 8 Fabric H half-square triangles. Mix and match as desired.
Note - you will have one square and 4 half-square triangles left over.
Step 5 - Lay out the blocks in 7 rows with 5 blocks in each row as desired.
Step 6 - Sew blocks together in rows, matching seams and pressing seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
Step 7 - Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
Step 8 - Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 9 - Join the 9 x 2 1/2" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.