PRIMA RAINBOW QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Prima Homespun' range (4 x red, 2 x orange, 3 x yellow, 4 x green, 6 x blue, 4 x violet)
- 20cm Jester red (A)
- 30cm Chinese red (B)
- 30cm Xmas red (C)
- 30cm High Risk red (D)
- 30cm Orange (E)
- 20cm Carrot (F)
- 20cm Aussie Gold (G)
- 20cm Daffodil (H)
- 20cm Lemon Chrome (I)
- 30cm Lime (J)
- 20cm Lime green (K)
- 20cm Grass (L)
- 30cm Jade (M)
- 30cm Teal (N)
- 20cm Peacock (O)
- 30cm Marine (P)
- 30cm New Turquoise (Q)
- 30cm Aqua (R)
- 20cm Ice Blue (S)
- 20cm Indigo (T)
- 30cm Iris (U)
- 30cm Jacaranda (V)
- 30cm Purple (W)
- 80cm Silver Prima Homespun (includes binding)
- 1.7m x 250cm wide Prima Homespun Backing fabric - Natural &bull Unseeded or colour of choice
- 1.7m Legacy cotton/ bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
Note: All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of Fabrics A, F, G, H, I, K, L, O, S & T cut 1 x 5 3/8" strip (10 strips in total) crosscut each strip into 7 x 5 3/8" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 14 half-square triangles per colour.
- From each of Fabrics B, D, N, Q & V cut 2 x 5 3/8" strips crosscut strips into 8 x 5 3/8" squares per colour, then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 16 half-square triangles per colour.
- From each of Fabrics C, E, P & W cut 2 x 5 3/8" strips crosscut strips into 10 x 5 3/8" squares per colour, then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 20 half-square triangles per colour.
- From each of Fabrics J, M, R & U cut 2 x 5 3/8" strips crosscut strips into 14 x 5 3/8" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 28 half-square triangles per colour.
- From silver homespun cut 7 x 2½" strips and set aside for binding cut 2 x 5 3/8" strips, crosscut strips into 14 x 5 3/8" squares, then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 28 half-square triangles.
Step 1.Stack half-square triangles into colour groups as follows -
Reds- 14 (A), 15 (B), 19 (C), 15 (D)Oranges- 18 (E), 13 (F)
Yellows- 14 (G), 14 (H), 14 (I)Greens- 27 (J), 14 (K), 14 (L), 26 (M)
Blues- 15 (N), 12 (O), 20 (P), 15 (Q), 27 (R), 14 (S)
Violets- 14 (T), 22 (U), 15 (V), 17 (W)
Step 2.Referring to diagram for placement, layout the half-square triangles for the quilt top - 26 half-square triangles to make 13 blocks across each row of 16 rows. Try to avoid having the exact same colour fabric together.
R= any 2 reds,O= both oranges,Y= any 2 yellows,G= any 2 greens,B= any 2 blues,= any 2 violets,S= silver, which will be used with a colour.
Step 3.When happy with the layout start at Row 1 and working on one row at a time, sew together half-square triangles for each block and place them back into position within the row.
Step 4.Sew the blocks in each row together. Press seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
Step 5.Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
Step 6.Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 7.Join the 7 x 2 1/2" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.