WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Fabrics are from 'Prima Homespun' range
- 25cm Fabric A - Lemon Chrome
- 30cm Fabric B - Popcorn
- 25cm Fabric C - Peacock
- 75cm Fabric D - Ice Blue (includes outer border)
- 25cm Fabric E - Lipstick
- 30cm Fabric F - Sorbet Pink
- 25cm Fabric G - Iris
- 30cm Fabric H - Jacaranda
- 25cm Fabric I - Airforce Blue
- 30cm Fabric J - Sea
- 25cm Fabric K - Regatta Blue
- 30cm Fabric L - Boy Blue
- 25cm Fabric M - Grass
- 30cm Fabric N- Lime
- 40cm Fabric O - White for inner bordered
- 50cm Fabric P - Navy for binding
- 1.8m x 250cm wide Navy Homespun or backing fabric of choice
- 1.8m Cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated. Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of Fabrics A, C, E, G, I, K & M cut 1 x 61/2" strip (7 strips in total), crosscut each strip into 5 x 61/2" squares for a total of 28 x 61/2" squares, 5 squares in each colour.
- From each of Fabrics B, D, F, H, J, L & N cut 3 x 31/2" strips (21 strips in total), crosscut strips in each colour into six 91/2" x 31/2" strips and five 61/2" x 31/2" strips for a total of 42, 91/2" x 31/2" strips and 28, 61/2" x 31/2" strips, six 91/2" x 31/2" strips and five 61/2" x 31/2" strips in each colour.
- From Fabric O cut 6 x 2" strips for inner border.
- From remaining Fabric D cut 6 x 3" strips for outer border.
- From Fabric P cut 7 x 21/2" strips for binding.
Note - All blocks are constructed using the same method, with the 61/2" dark colour square and the 31/2" light colour strips in each colourway. Colourways are as follows:
1st row - Fabrics A & B
2nd row - Fabrics C & D
3rd row - Fabrics E & F
4th row - Fabrics G & H
5th row - Fabrics I & J
6th row - Fabrics K & L
7th row - Fabrics M & N
Step 1 - Sew a 61/2" x 31/2" Fabric B strip to one edge of a Fabric A 61/2" square, press seam towards the square. Repeat to make a total of 5 A-B units. Arrange units 'one up one down' as shown in diagram below.
Step 2 - Sew a 91/2" x 31/2" Fabric B strip to the right-hand edge of each unit, press seams towards the strip. Sew remaining 91/2" x 31/2" Fabric B strip to the left-hand side of the first unit. Sew units together along remaining edges to create Row 1 as shown in diagram below.
Step 3 - Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make Rows 2-7 using colourways above.
Step 4 - Continue to layout all 7 rows - one up one down, as shown in diagram below.
Step 5 - Sew rows together matching seams, pressing seams in one direction.
Step 6 - Sew 3 x 2" Fabric O inner border strips together and cut in half. Sew one strip to each side of the quilt top. Press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric. Sew remaining 3 x 2" Fabric O strips together, cut in half and sew one to the top and one to the bottom of the quilt top, press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric.
Step 7 - Sew 3 x 3" Fabric D outer border strips together and cut in half. Sew one strip to each side of the quilt top. Press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric. Sew remaining 3 x 2" Fabric D strips together, cut in half and sew one to the top and one to the bottom of the quilt top, press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric.
Step 8 - Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 9 - Join the 7 x 21/2" Fabric P binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.