MODERN CIRCLE QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
Fabrics are from 'Prima Homespun' range
- 1m Fabric A - Pale Pink (includes binding)
- 20cm Fabric B - Neutral Grey
- 70cm Fabric C - Natural Unseeded
- 70cm Fabric D - Oxford Blue
- 6m x 250cm wide Backing fabric of choice
- 6m Legacy cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
Tools & Equipment
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Fabric marker
- Template plastic
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
Quilt measures: 541/2" x 541/2" (138cm x 138cm)
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
Trace both template A and template B onto template plastic and cut out. Trace around templates using fabric marker then and cut out shapes using scissors.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From Fabric A cut 6 x 31/2" strips, crosscut strips into 32 x 61/2" lengths and 6 x 21/2" strips for binding.
- From Fabric B cut 1 x 61/2" strip and using template B cut out 6 quarter circles.
- From Fabric C cut 4 x 61/2" strips and using template B cut out 26 quarter circles cut 4 x 8" strips and using template A cut out 32 shapes.
- From Fabric D cut 6 x 31/2" strips, crosscut strips into 32 x 61/2" lengths cut 4 x 8"strips using template A cut out 32 shapes.
- To sew template A and template B pieces together fold each piece in half to find the centre of each curve and finger press.
- Place template A on top and template B on the bottom with right sides facing and pin the centres together.
- Align ends of both pieces and pin.
- Starting at one end sew slowly following the curve easing fabric as needed and realigning raw edges about every 1/2". Have needle in down position when stopping.
- Press seam to template A.
- Place a 31/2" x 61/2" Fabric A strip right sides facing with and a 31/2" x 61/2" Fabric D strip and sew together down one long side. Press seam towards Fabric D. Repeat to make a total of 32 x A-D pieced units.
- With stripes horizontal and Fabric D along the bottom edge place the straight edge of template B along the bottom edge, carefully trace and cut out. Repeat to make 32 x A-D template B units.
- Sew together one Fabric C template A piece and one A-D template B unit following directions on curved piecing above. Make 32 blocks.
- Sew together one Fabric D template A piece and one Fabric C template B piece following directions on curved piecing above. Make 26 blocks.
- Sew together one Fabric D template A piece and one Fabric B template B piece following directions on curved piecing above. Make 6 blocks.
- Lay out blocks as shown in diagram. Circles indicate where the centres come together to form a large circle.
- Sew the blocks in each row together. Press seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
- Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
- Join the 6 x 21/2" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.