LITTLE FRIENDS QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Little Friends' range
- 1 x Flat Fat Bundle Little Friends 1 (5 pc)
- 1 x Flat Fat Bundle Little Friends 2 (5 pc)
- 1 x Jelly Strips Little Friends, multi (20 pc)
- 1.1m x 1.1m Sew Easy cotton/bamboo batting
- Co-ordinating assorted widths grosgrain ribbons & rickrack
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
36 1/2" x 36 1/2" (93cm x 93cm)
Note: 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated. Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
- Open the 2 bundles and set aside the following 4 x fat 1/4s for the backing - Dots, Tonal, 2 x Triangle Geo.
- From the remaining 6 fat 1/4s cut the following - 10 x 51/2" squares (preferred designs or refer to photo), four 5" wide x 91/2" rectangles for Rows 1 and 3, and 24 rectangles 31/2" wide x 5" for 6 four-patch blocks for Rows 2 and 4.
- Open the jelly strips and set aside 4 strips for the binding.
- From the assorted ribbons and rickrack cut 40 x 3" lengths.
Step 1. Take one 51/2" square and one jelly strip. Cut the jelly strip into 2 x 91/2" and 2 x 51/2" lengths.
Step 2. Fold a ribbon/rickrack length in half to make a loop, short ends together and pin to one side of the block with raw edges aligned. Ribbon will sit on top of the block facing into the centre.
Step 3. Pin one 51/2" strip right side down on the same edge over the ribbon loop and sew in place. Press seam towards the strip.
Step 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 adding a different ribbon and sewing the remaining 51/2" strip to the opposite side of the square.
Step 5. Repeat step 2 adding a different ribbon to the top and bottom edges and sewing a 91/2" strip to the top and bottom edges of the square. Press all seams towards the strips.
Step 6. Repeat steps 1-5 to make all 10 tag blocks.
Step 7. Arrange the 31/2" x 5" rectangles into 6 sets of 2 x 2.
Step 8. Sew rectangles in one set together in pairs, pressing seams in each row in opposite directions. Sew rows together to make a 4-patch block. Press seam open to avoid bulk.
Step 9. Lay out blocks into rows as follows:
Rows 1 & 3 - tag block, 5" x 91/2" rectangle, tag block, 5" x 91/2" rectangle, tag block.
Rows 2 & 4 - 4-patch block, tag block, 4-patch block, tag block, 4-patch block.
Step 10. When happy with the layout sew blocks in each row together. Press well.
Step 11. Sew rows together, pressing seams in one direction.
Step 12. Take the 4 x fat 1/4s set aside for the backing and using 1/2" seam allowance sew together into a large 4-patch block, pressing seams open.
Step 13. Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 14. Take the 4 jelly strips set aside for binding and join together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.