GILDED BUTTERFLIES QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1.5m Fabric A - Gilded Butterflies Blender, purple (includes binding)
- 1.9m Fabric B - Ripples Blender RK, amethyst (includes backing)
- 30cm Fabric C - Prima Homespun Petunia
- 30cm Fabric D - Prima Homespun Orchid
- 30cm Fabric E - Prima Homespun Lt Purple
- 1.2m x 14m Sew Easy cotton/bamboo batting
- Legacy Fuse Under
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
Note: All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated. Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
39 1/2" x 49 1/2" (101cm x 126cm)
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From Fabric A cut 5 x 3 1/2" strips for Border 2 and 5 x 2 1/2" strips for binding set aside remaining fabric
- From Fabric B cut cut 4 x 2" strips for Border 1 and 1 x 10 1/2" strip, crosscut into 3 x 10 1/2" squares set aside remaining fabric for backing.
- From Fabrics C, D and E cut 1 x 10 1/2" strip, crosscut each strip into 3 x 10 1/2" squares.
Step 1. Using templates provided trace 12 butterflies and 12 bodies onto paper side of Legacy Fuse Under. Cut out butterflies and bodies leaving a 1/2" border around the edge of each.
Step 2. Fuse butterflies to the wrong side of Fabric A and cut out on the line. Fuse body shapes to the wrong side of Fabrics C, D and E and cut out on the line.
Step 3. Place butterflies onto the 10 1/2" squares with a body piece through the centre of each. When happy with the arrangement and working on one square at a time, remove the backing paper from the butterfly and fuse in place then remove backing paper from body and fuse in place over the centre of the butterfly. Repeat for all 12 squares.
Step 4. Straight stitch an 1/8" inside the edge of the butterfly and body on each of the 12 blocks.
Step 5. Arrange butterfly blocks into 4 rows of 3 blocks. Sew the blocks in each row together. Press seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
Step 6. Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
Step 7. Border 1 - sew one 2 1/2" Fabric B border strip to each side of the quilt top. Press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric. Sew remaining strips to the top and bottom of the quilt top, press and trim off any excess fabric.
Step 8. Border 2 - take the 5 x 3 1/2" Fabric A border strips, trim off selvedges and join together end to end to make one long strip. Cut into 2 x 43 1/2" strips and 2 x 39 1/2"strips. Sew one 43 1/2" strip to each long side of the quilt. Press seams towards border 2. Sew one 39 1/2" strip to the top and bottom of the quilt and press seams towards border 2.
Step 9. Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 10. Join the 5 x 2 1/2" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.