WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- X20 JP Xmas Possum - Dark Red - 25cm
- X20 JP Xmas Animals - Light - 70cm
- X20 JP Xmas Koala - Spearmint - 35cm
- X20 JP Xmas Wombat - Blue Green - 40cm
- X20 JP Xmas Echidna - Emerald Green - 80cm
- X20 JP Xmas Kangaroo Emerald Green - Backing fabric - 125 x 125cm (includes binding)
- Cotton wadding - 125 x 125cm
- Quilter's Safety pins
- Walking foot
- Cut out the following from each fabric:
- Dark Red Possum - 4 x 21cm (9") squares
- Light Animals - 48 x 16.5cm (6 1/2 ") sided right-angle triangles
- Spearmint Koala - 16 x 16.5cm sided right-angle triangles
- Blue Green Wombat - 16 x 16.5cm sided right-angle triangles
- Emerald Green Echidna - 32 x 16.5cm sided right-angle triangles
- BLOCK 1 - Start by making 4 squares alike, each using 1 x spearmint koala, 1 x light animals and 2 emerald green echidnas. Sew 1 x emerald green triangle to 1 x spearmint triangle along a straight side. Press all seams open as you go. Sew 1 x emerald green triangle to 1 x light triangle (check it is on the correct side to match the picture). Sew the emerald/spearmint triangle to the emerald/light triangle along the diagonal. You should have a square made of 4 triangles. Repeat to make another three the same.
Attach the spearmint side of one square to 1 x dark red square. Attach the spearmint side of another square to the opposite side of the red square. At each end of this 3-square panel, attach a blue-green wombat to the light triangle. This is the centre panel of Block 1.
Side Panel: Sew 2 x light triangles together along one side. Repeat with 2 more light triangles. Sew one of these big light triangles to the emerald green on a previously made square. Sew the other big light triangle to the emerald green on the opposite side of the same square.
Repeat this process for the other side panel. See photo.
To the small light triangle on the outside of each side panel, attach a blue-green wombat to the light triangle. Sew the 3 panels together, matching each join precisely. Block 1 is finished.
- Make 3 more blocks the same as Block 1.
- Sew 2 x blocks together (right sides together) along one side, matching all joins. Press seams open. Repeat with the other 2 x blocks.
- Place the two blocked pieces, right sides together, and stitch along one side, matching all joins. Press open.
- Lay backing face down on table, smooth wadding on top of backing and centre the finished blocked square right side up on top of wadding. Pin together through all layers with Quilter's safety pins every 20-25cm.
- Attach walking foot to sewing machine and ditch stitch through all layers along 4 diagonal lines left to right, then 4 diagonals right to left, starting near the centre of the quilt, and moving outwards.
- Trim wadding only back to the size of the blocked square. Trim backing so that it extends 3cm from each side.
- Fold binding on each side towards the square, then fold again over the edge of the square. Pin in place, making sure the 4 corners are tucked in neatly. Topstitch close to inside edge.