ANNE WATERS QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Anne Waters' range
- 50cm Fabric A - Oz Bouquet, Black
- 50cm Fabric B - Galah, Red
- 50cm Fabric C - Magpies, Blue
- 50cm Fabric D - Lyrebird, Yellow
- 50cm Fabric E - Rainbow Birds, Pink
- 50cm Fabric F - Plovers & Bugs, Grey
- 1.1m Fabric G - Organic Quilters Cotton, Marine*
- 60cm Fabric H - Organic Quilters Cotton, Grey*
- 50cm Fabric I - Organic Quilters Cotton, Charcoal for binding
- 3m fabric of choice for Backing
- 1.5m x 1.5m Cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with ¼" foot & walking foot
*1.5m Fabric G if using Marine for all 9 blocks, omitting Fabric H.
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
¼" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
54" x 54" (137cm x 137cm)
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each Fabrics A, B, C, D, E & F cut 1 x 3½" strip, crosscut each strip into 6 x 3½" squares for a total of 36 x 3½" squares.
- From Fabric A cut 3 x 3⅞" strips, crosscut strips into 24 x 3⅞" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 48 half-square triangles. Repeat for Fabrics B, C, D, E & F, for a total of 288 half-square triangles.
- From Fabric G cut 3 x 3½" strips, crosscut strips into 24 x 3½" squares, cut 8 x 3⅞" strips, crosscut strips into 72 x 3⅞" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 144 half-square triangles.
- From Fabric H cut 1 x 3½" strip, crosscut strip into 12 x 3½" squares, cut 4 x 3⅞" strips, crosscut strips into 36 x 3⅞" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 72 half-square triangles.
- From Fabric I cut 6 x 2½" strips for binding.
If using Fabric G for all 9 blocks cut 4 x 3½" strips, crosscut strips into 36 x 3½" squares, cut 11 x 3⅞" strips, crosscut strips into 108 x 3⅞" squares then cut each square once on the diagonal to make 216 half-square triangles, omitting Fabric H.
- As placement of Fabrics A-F is random throughout, take 72 assorted Fabric A-F half-square triangles and chain piece to make 36 x A-F half-square triangle units for the centre of each block.
- Sew remaining 216 Fabric A-F half-square triangles to Fabric G &/H half-square triangles to make 216 A-G half-square triangle units. Press seams in one direction.
- Each block consists of the following - 4 x 3½" Fabrics A - F squares; 4 x A-F half-square triangle units; 4 x 3½" Fabric G/H squares and 24 A-G half-square triangle units.
- Refer to the diagram and layout the squares and half-square triangle units for the first block. Sew together squares and half-square triangles in rows. Press seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
- Sew the rows together matching seams, press seams in one direction.
- Repeat Steps 1-5 to make 8 more Blocks, for a total of nine blocks 6 blue and 3 grey.
- Layout Blocks in 3 rows with 3 blocks in each row as in the diagram.
- Sew blocks together in rows, matching seams and pressing seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row. Sew rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
- Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
- Join the 6 x 2½" binding strips on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.