SPARKLING UNICORN CAKE
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Favorite Cake Mix or Recipe
- Edible Glitter Gold Stars, 0.4 oz.
- Creamy White Decorator Icing, 4 lb. Tub
- Ready-To-Use Gum Paste
- Color Right Performance Food Coloring Set
- Confectioners' sugar
- Edible Metallic Cake Paint Set, 5-Piece
- Gold Pearlized Sugar Sprinkles, 5.25 oz.
- Gold Stars Sprinkles
- Gold Cake Sequins, 10 oz.
- Gold, Silver and White Sprinkles Cupcake Decorating Set, 8-Piece
- Bake Even Cake Strips, 2-Piece
- Cake Leveler, Small, 10-Inch
- Flower Wave Fondant and Gum Paste Drying Rack - Cake Decorating Supplies
- Master Cake Decorating Tips Set, 55-Piece Cake Decorating Supply Set
- Non-Stick Cooling Grid - 14.5 x 20-Inch - Cooling Rack
- Recipe Right Non-Stick Cookie Sheet, 15.25 x 10.25-Inch
- Cake Decorating Tools, 5-Piece Brush Set
- Aluminum Round Cake Pan, 6 x 3-Inch
- 6-Inch Round Cake Boards, 10-Count
- Fondant Roller, 9-Inch
- Decorating Bags, 16-Inch Disposable Piping Bags, 12-Count
- Decorator Preferred Round Cake Pan, 8 x 3-Inch
Step 1 - One day in advance, make ears. Using fondant roller with purple guide rings, roll out gum paste. Using a leaf cut-out, cut two shapes for the ears. Place in corn-starch-dusted flower drying rack, flipping one ear over to create mirror image. Let dry overnight.
Step 2 - Also one day in advance, make horn. Roll two 1 3/8 in. balls gum paste. Roll into two elongated cones, about 6? in. long. Using damp brush, attach narrow end of cones together,twist gum paste together. Insert lollipop stick into base, going in about 2/3 of the way up cone. Let dry overnight in corn-starch-dusted flower drying rack.
Step 3 - Bake cake. Prepare cake batter following recipe instructions. Bake and cool two 6 in. cake layers and two 8 in. cake layers using Bake Even strips. Using cake leveller, trim two 6 in. layer to 2-1/2 in. high. Fill and stack layers on 6 in. cake circle for 5 in. high cake. Trim both 8 in. cake layers to 1in. high. Fill and stack layers on 8 in. cake circle for 3 in. high cake.
Step 4 - Ice cakes. Using white icing and spatula, ice 6 in. cake smooth.
Tint 3 cups of icing gold by mixing 10 drops yellow and 2 drops orange.
Step 5 - Decorate 8 in. cake. To prevent sticking, sprinkle confectioners? sugar on gold iced cake where 6 in. circle cake will be placed. Place 6 in. cake circle on top of 8 in. cake. Place cake on or above cookie sheet. Carefully press gold pearlized sugars onto sides and top of 8 in. cake. Reuse sugars that fall onto cookie sheet.
Helpful Hint: To elevate cake, place empty 6 in. cake pan on cookie sheet. Place 8 in. cake on empty 6 in. pan.
Prepare 8 in. cake for stacked construction,stack cakes.
Step 6 - Paint ears and horn. Using decorating brush and metallic gold paint, paint inside of ears and horn. Insert into 6in. cake.
Step 7 - Tint remaining icing. Tint icing light pink, red-pink, medium pink, light purple, pink-purple and medium purple using colour combinations provided. To get touch of colour, squeeze one drop of colour onto plastic wrap. Using toothpick, add small amount of colour to icing.
- Light Pink: 1 cup white icing + touch of P
- Red-Pink: 1 cup white icing + 2P + touch of R
- Medium Pink: 1/4 cup white icing + 2P + touch of B
- Light Purple: cup white icing + touch of B + touch of P
- Pink-Purple: 1/4 cup white icing + 5P + touch of B
- Medium Purple: 1 cup white icing + 5P + 2B
Prepare decorating bags with tips 2D, 4B, 16, 18, 21 and 199. Fill as desired with tinted icing, mixing and striping bags with complementary colours. Using rosette and star techniques, pipe mane.
Step 8 - Pipe eyes. Tint 1/4 cup icing black using colour combination provided. Black: 1 cup white icing 9BK. Prepare decorating bag with tip 3 and black icing. Pipe eyes on front of cake. Using remaining white icing, attach star sprinkles for cheeks of unicorn.