PRETTY PASTELS & SUCCULENTS CAKE
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Cake mix
- 6inch cake tin
- Vanilla Decorator White Icing
- Kelly green, black, teal, moss green, lemon yellow, royal blue, light pink and bright pink food colouring
- Burgundy icing colour
- Waxed paper or baking paper
- Decorator piping bag and coupler
- Tip 12, 125, 59, 2, 352, 32 and 16
- Decorator Smart Decorator Icing
- Decorating brush
Step 1 - Bake cake
- Prepare cake batter following recipe instructions. Bake and cool three cake layers. Level, fill and stack for 6 in. high cake. Using white icing, ice cake smooth. Let crust.
Step 2 - Tint icing
- Tint 3 cups vanilla decorator icing dark green using colour combination provided. Combine Kelly Green and Black icing colours to get dark green colour shown.
- Cut waxed paper into squares, seven 2 in. squares and three 3 in. squares.
Step 3 - Pipe Desert Rose Flower
- Prepare decorating bag with coupler and dark green icing. Using tip 12, pipe mound on large flower nail prepared with 3 in. waxed paper square, about 3/8 in. high. Reserve icing in bag for later step.
- Prepare additional decorating bag with tip 125 and dark green icing. Using Desert Rose Flower technique, pipe 2 to 3 succulents. Freeze, at least 2 hours.
Step 4 - Pipe stacked petal succulents
- Using bag with dark green icing and coupler, switch to tip 59. Using Stacked Petals technique, pipe 5 to 7 succulents on small flower nail with 2 in. waxed paper squares. Freeze, at least 2 hours. Reserve remaining dark green icing in bag for later step.
Step 5 - Tint icing
- Using Decorator Smart Decorator Icing, tint 1/4 cup icing each teal, medium green and medium blue using colour combinations provided. Combine Royal Blue and Black icing colours to get medium blue colour shown. Combine Teal and Black icing colours to get teal colour shown. Combine Moss Green and Lemon-Yellow icing colours to get medium green colour shown. Using Burgundy icing colour, tint 1/4 cup icing light pink and 1/2 cup icing bright pink.
Step 6 - Paint cake
- Using spatula, spread teal, medium green, medium blue, light pink and bright pink randomly around and on top of cake. Let crust. Reserve remaining bright pink icing for later step.
Step 7 - Pipe dots
- Using Black icing colour and decorating brush, paint dots on cake.
- Prepare decorating bag with tip 2 and remaining bright pink icing. Pipe pink dots on cake.
Step 8 - Pipe borders
- Using bag with dark green icing and coupler, switch to tip 12. Pipe small icing mound on bottom of cake. Position Ranunculus succulent. Repeat on top of cake. Position stacked petal succulents on bottom and top of cake, using icing to attach if needed.
- Switch to tip 352. Pipe circle of pull-out leaves on either side of Ranunculus. Fill in circle. Repeat as desired on top and bottom border.
- Switch to tip 32. Pipe cacti on top and bottom border using pull-out star technique.
- Switch to tip 16. Fill in any remaining space on top and bottom border with small pull-out stars and stars.
- Switch to tip 2. Pipe small dots to form vines.
- Switch to tip 352. Fill in any remaining space on top and bottom borders with leaves.