BANOFFEE LAYER CAKE
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3 mashed bananas
- 340g butter
- 3 eggs
- 210g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate or soda
- 340g self-raising flour
- 300ml whipping cream
- 300g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp glucose
- 200 ml milk
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 gelatine leaves
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Scoop-it measuring spoons
- #2D Drop Flower Piping Tip
- Gold Metallic Candles (optional)
- Decorator Preferred 6" Round Cake Tin
- Decorator Preferred 11inch Straight Palette Knife
- Non-Stick Parchment Paper
- Gold Pearl Colour Dust
Step 1 - The Chocolate Ganache
- Heat the cream and glucose until it comes to the boil, then pour directly over the chocolate. Stir until fully combined, leave to cool then place into a piping bag.
The Banana Sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line the tin
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and stir until combined.
- Fold in the mashed banana.
- Sieve in the flour and bicarbonate of soda, then fold into the mix until combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 30 - 35 minutes or until fully cooked and an inserted cake tester comes out clean. Leave to cool.
The Vanilla Mousse
- Soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water.
- In a heat proof bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it just comes to the boil, then pour a little of the milk onto the egg mixture to temper. Pour the egg mixture back into the remaining milk mixture and place onto a medium heat. Stir the mixture continually until it starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the gelatine.
- Place the mixture through a sieve and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the cream until it is soft peaks, fold into the egg mixture. Place into a piping bag.
Decorating the cake
- Use a cake leveller to layer the cake into 3 layers.
- Using a clean tin, line it with two layers of parchment paper on its sides and base. This will enable you to have a smooth side as you assemble the cake.
- Place the bottom layer of cake into the base of the tin. Pipe a layer of ganache over the surface, all the way to the edge, then top this with a layer of mouse. Repeat with the next 2 layers of cake, finishing with a layer of ganache for the top surface.
- Refrigerate the cake overnight until it has fully set.
- To finish the cake, place the remaining ganache into a piping bag fitted with Tip 2D. Pipe 'kisses' onto the top surface of the cake.
- Finish with gold dusted Maltesers and cigarillos and some golden candles.