SCANDI TRIANGLE QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Fabrics are from 'Scandi Christmas' range
- 20cm Fabric A - Snowflake, red/natural
- 20cm Fabric B - Mini Dot, natural/red
- 20cm Fabric C - Deers, red/natural
- 20cm Fabric D - Deer Tree, natural/red
- 20cm Fabric E - Merry Xmas, red/natural
- 20cm Fabric F - Baubles, natural/red
- 20cm Fabric G - Noel Patch, red/natural
- 20cm Fabric H - Deers, natural/red
- 20cm Fabric I - Noel, red/natural
- 20cm Fabric J - Deer Tree, red/natural
- 20cm Fabric K - Nordic Tree, red/natural
- 50cm Fabric L - Mini Star, red/natural (includes binding)
- 60cm Fabric M - Plain, red (includes borders)
- 40cm Fabric N- Plain, natural
- 1m x 250cm wide Prima Homespun Backing fabric, Chinese Red or colour of choice
- 1m Legacy cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Template plastic
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
Finished size (approx)
90 x 100(35 1/2" x 39 1/2")
Step 1 - To create a template for cutting the triangles draw a 4" square on paper. Mark the centre top point (2"). Draw a line from this point to the bottom left corner then draw a line to the bottom right corner as in Diagram 1.
Step 2 - Draw a 1/4" seam allowance around the outside edge of the triangle (red) then mark a line 1/4" above the top of the square at the point (blue) as in Diagram 2. Cut out along the red and blue lines and use to create a template from the template plastic.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K & L cut 1 x 4 1/2" strip (12 strips in total). Using the template cut 7 triangles from each strip for a total of 84 triangles, 7 squares in each fabric.
From each of Fabrics M & N cut 3 x 4 1/2" strips. Using the template cut 14 triangles from each strip for a total of 84 triangles, 42 triangles in each fabric. Note - the template can be placed along top and bottom edges of the strip as the fabric is plain, non-directional.
From Fabric M cut 4 x 2" strips for border.
From Fabric L 4 x 2 1/2" strips for binding.
Step 1 - Refer to layout diagram below (patterned triangle is any patterned fabric) to arrange triangles into rows. When happy with the layout stitch the triangles together across the rows. Press seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
Step 2 - Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
Step 3 - For the border sew one 2" Fabric M border strip to each side of the quilt top. Press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric. Sew remaining strips to the top and bottom of the quilt top, press and trim off any excess fabric.
Step 4 - Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 5 - Join the 4x 2 1/2" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.