OWL CHEVRON QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Finished Quilt Size - 120cmx140cm
- A selection of 6 fabrics: Note - if you have a 1 direction fabric and would like to fussy cut this for the quilt allow an extra 10 cm for each Row and instead of cutting 5.5 inch from the fabric cut 2 strips of 3 inch fabrics. These strips will be the horizontal strips and the 5.5 inch will be the vertical strips in the design and will allow the fabric design to flow in the same direction.
- Fabric 1 - Main Fabric Repeat (5 Rows)- 75cm - Cut 70 - 3 x 5.5 inch rectangles
- Fabric 2 (3 Rows) - 45cm - Cut 42 - 3 x 5.5 inch rectangle
- Fabric 3 (3 Rows) - 45cm - Cut 42 - 3 x 5.5 inch rectangle
- Fabric 4 (2 Rows) - 30cm - Cut 28 - 3 x 5.5 inch rectangle
- Fabric 5 (2 Rows) - 30cm - Cut 28 - 3 x 5.5 inch rectangle
- Fabric 6 (2 Rows) - 30cm - Cut 28 - 3 x 5.5 inch rectangle
- Allow an extra 30cm for binding quilt
Step 1 - The best way to tackle this quilt is to lay all of the pieces out in the order in which they will appear. This allows you to play around with each fabric until you are happy with the order that they are in. It also allows for an easier sewing process.
You will be sewing all pieces together in a block first and then will assemble row by row.
ASSEMBLE THE BLOCKS
Just one strip on the top & bottom to allow excess to trim sides of quilt.
Trim all sides to square up quilt.
Assemble into long strips first alternating direction of blocks to give the zig-zag appearance.
Step 2 - Sew the full strip of the row altogether
Step 3 - Sew all the rows together starting from the bottom right corner and working your way up until all the quilt is assembled.
Step 4 - Trim the excess fabric from all edges to finish and square off all ends.
Step 5 - Sandwich, quilt and bind.