MEXICAN PONCHO PENCIL CASE
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 15m of 112cm wide of Mexican poncho fabric (outer)
- 15m of 112cm wide of plain top pop fabric (lining)
- 20cm zip
- 25m of 112cm wide of Mexican poncho fabric (outer )
- 25m of 112cm wide of plain top pop fabric (lining)
- 30cm zip
Tools & Equipment
- Scissors, Pins, Tape measure/ruler, Matching thread
- Sewing machine with zipper foot
Note: 1.5cm seam allowance is used unless specified
Cut 2x pieces from Mexican poncho fabric and 2x pieces from lining fabric each measuring 15cm high by 25cm wide.
Cut 2x pieces from Mexican poncho fabric and 2x pieces from lining fabric each measuring 22cm high by 35cm wide.
- With the right side of the zip facing down, place zip on top of the right side of one of the outer fabric pieces aligning the top edges. With right side facing down, place one of the lining pieces of fabric on top of outer piece and zip. Pin upper edges and sew together through all layers with a zipper foot.
- Flip the lining piece of fabric right way around and to the back of the outer fabric with the zip to the side. Press fabric firmly away from the zip. Top stitch fabric through all layers beginning and stopping the stitching at the start and end of the zipper teeth.
- Repeat with remaining fabric pieces and to attach fabric to the other side of the zip.
- Ensuring that the zip is open, with right sides together, pull the lining pieces of fabric together to one side of the zip and the outer pieces of fabric together on other side of zip. Pin all outer edges together and sew together in leaving a small opening at the base of the lining fabric. Clip corners and trim away any excess fabric to remove bulkiness.
- Turn the case right way out through the opening in the lining. Top stitch closed the opening in lining and place lining within the case. Press case flat.