AUSSIE MEADOWS QUILT BY MABLE TAN
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Marble Tan Aussie Meadow' range
- 30cm Fabric A - Quinces, Green
- 30cm Fabric B - Koala Family, Green
- 60cm Fabric C - Beeyoutiful Protea, Blue (includes binding)
- 30cm Fabric D - Aussie Adorables, Blue
- 30cm Fabric E - Banksia Garden, Grey
- 1.2m Fabric F - Pretty Cosmos, Pink (includes sashing)
- 1.5m Fabric of choice for backing
- 1.2m x 1.5m cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with ¼" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
¼" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
36" x 50" (92cm x 127cm)
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D and E cut 1 x 4½" strip, crosscut each strip into 6 x 4½" squares, 30 x 4½" squares in total.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D and E cut 1 x 2½" strip, crosscut each strip into 6 rectangles 4½" x 2½", 30 rectangles in total.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D and E cut 1 x 1½" strip, crosscut each strip into 6 x 4½" lengths, 30 lengths 1½" x 4½" squares in total.
- From Fabric F cut 4 x 3½" strips, crosscut strips into 28 rectangles 4½" x 3½".
- From Fabric F cut 7 x 1½" strips, crosscut strips into 56 x 4½" lengths.
- From Fabric F cut 12 x 1½" strips for sashing.
- From Fabric C cut 5 x 2½" strips for binding.
Note - Blocks are worked in 4½" columns and consist of 1 x 3½" rectangle and 2 x 1½" Fabric F strips and 1 x 4½" square, 1 x 2½" rectangle and 1 x 1½" strip of Fabric A, B, C, D or E.
Step 1 - Layout a 4½" Fabric A square, a 1½" Fabric F strip, a 2½" Fabric A rectangle, a 1½" Fabric F strip, a 1½" Fabric A strip and a 3½" Fabric F rectangle.
Step 2 - Sew together in pairs, pressing seams downwards.
Step 3 - Sew the pairs together to create Block A, pressing seams downwards.
Blocks B & C
Step 4 - Block B Layout a 2½" Fabric A rectangle, a 1½" Fabric F strip, a 1½" Fabric A strip and a 3½" Fabric F rectangle. Sew together in pairs, pressing seams downwards. Sew pairs together, pressing seams downwards.
Step 5 - Block C Layout a 4½" Fabric A square and a 1½" Fabric F strip then sew together, pressing seams downwards.
Step 6 - Make two more of Blocks B & C for a total of 3.
Note - Quilt top is worked in columns.
Step 7 - Layout blocks in columns as follows:
- Columns 1, 3, 5 & 7 - 4 x Block A
- Columns 2, 4 & 6 - 1 x Block B, 3 x Block A, 1 x Block C
Step 8 - Sew together blocks in each column pressing seams downwards.
Step 9 - Sew 12 x 1½" Fabric F sashing strips together end to end into one continuous strip pressing seams open. Cut sashing strip into 8 strips the length of the columns.
Step 10 - Sew one sashing strip to left-hand side of each column and one strip to the right-hand side of column 8, press seams towards sashing. Sew columns to the other side of sashing, pressing seams towards sashing.
Step 11 - From remaining sashing strip cut sashing for top and bottom of quilt top and sew in place.
Step 12 - Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 13 - Join the 5 x 2½" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.