MODERN PRIMA QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Prima Homespun' range
- 50cm each of 8 Prima Homespun fabrics - Butterscotch, Chai, Jacaranda, Junior Navy, Natural Unseeded, New Turquoise, Pumpkin, Slate (includes binding) or colours of choice
- 1.5m x 250cm wide Backing fabric of choice
- 1.5m x 250cm wide Sew Easy cotton/ bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
Quilt measures: 571/2" x 65" (146cm x 165cm)
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of the 8 Prima Homespun fabrics cut the following - 1 x 11/2" strip, 1 x 2" strip, 1 x 21/2" strip, 1 x 3" strip, 1 x 31/2" strip and 1 x 4" strip for a total of 48 strips - 8 x 11/2" strips, 8 x 2" strips, 8 x 21/2" strips, 8 x 3" strips, 8 x 31/2" strips and 8 x 4" strips.
- Set aside the 8 x 21/2" strips for binding (one of each colour).
- Crosscut remaining 40 strips into 10" lengths for a total of 160 strips.
Step 1 - Arrange the 10" strips in random order, varying the colours and widths, to make 6 columns of a similar length.
Step 2 - With right sides facing, sew the strips together in each column, pressing seams in one direction alternating the direction in each column.
Step 3 - Sew columns together, pressing seams in one direction.
Step 4 - Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 5 - Crosscut each of the 8 x 21/2" binding strips into 4 x 101/2" lengths for a total of 32 x 101/2" strips.
Step 6 -Join the strips together on the nbias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners.
Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.