DRAWSTRING TOY MAT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1.2m of 112cm wide printed cotton duck fabric (outer)
- 1.5m of 112cm wide printed cotton duck fabric (lining & casing)
- 4m of piping cord
- Sewing thread
- Ruler/Tape measure
- Safety Pin
- Sewing Machine
Note: 1cm seam allowance is used unless specified
- Cut a large circle with a diameter of 110cm from each of the printed cotton duck fabrics.1. Cut a large circle with a diameter of 110cm from each of the printed cotton duck fabrics.
- To create the cord casing, cut four strips from the lining fabric with each strip measuring 8cm high by the width of the fabric. Trim the selvedges from the edges of the strips. Cut 75cm off the length of one of the strips.
- With right sides facing, pin and sew the ends of the strips together to make one long strip. Press seams open.
- Create a double hem on each end of the long strip by pressing under 1cm, then another 2cm. Sew the double hem in place.
- With wrong sides facing, press strip in half aligning the top and bottom raw edges. Baste together along long edges.
- Aligning raw edges, pin the folded strip around the outer edges of the outer fabric circle. Sew together with an 8mm seam allowance.
- With right sides facing, pin lining fabric circle on top of the outer circle with cord casing. Sew circles together with a 1cm seam allowance, leaving a 15cm opening at base of circles for turning out. Clip curved seam.
- Turn the toy bag right way out through the opening left in the base seam of the bag. Press outer edge of bag flat, pulling the cord casing firmly outwards. Press the seam allowance at the opening to the inside of the bag, pin in place. Top stitch around the outer edge of bag, securing the base opening closed within the stitching. Press bag flat.
- With the help of a safety pin, thread the piping cord through the cord casing on the outer edge of bag.
- Cut two shapes from printed duck fabric, and with right sides facing, sew shapes together leaving the top open. Trim and clip seam and turn shape right way out. Press seam allowance along the top to the inside. Place ends of the cord into the fabric shape tab and pin top opening closed. Top stitch around the outer edges of the fabric tab securing the cord within the stitching.