Invest in quality gouache paints with the range at Spotlight. Shop premium gouache paints from leading brands online for your next creative project.
3 items found.
Delve Into Gouache Paint With Spotlight
Gouache paint isn't your average artist's paint! This paint, often called an opaque watercolour, is like an amazing cross between acrylic paint and watercolour paint that is great for illustrating with. At Spotlight our gouache paints are from the quality art brand Reeves, and come in a lovely range of beautiful colours.
Why we love gouache paint!
We adore the many amazing properties of gouache paint, which include:
- It dries matte: Without a glossy finish you don't need to worry about light refracting off your art and changing how it looks.
- It can be reworked with water: If you want to blend an old colour, lift a mistake you didn't notice or just keep painting after taking a break, adding a bit of water will allow you to continue painting where you left off.
- It is opaque: Unlike watercolours, gouache is not see-through and dries to a solid hue.
- It can be used to create layers: While you need to be careful, gouache can be used carefully to create layers in your art.
- It dries quickly and is easy to clean up: Because it is water-based, you can clean your brushes and clothes with little effort compared to a medium like oil paint.
Redhead our blog on gouache paint for more information on this amazing medium!
Gouache paint FAQs
What is gouache paint?
Gouache paint is a painting medium that consists of pigment, water, a binding agent like gum arabic and then chalk for a filler. The chalk is what makes it thicker and more opaque, turning it from a watercolour paint into something more like acrylic.
What is gouache paint used for?
Gouache paint is often used for illustrating, like on posters or in comics, thanks to its bright colours and quick dry time. You can use it for more traditional painting, but it must be done on a prepared canvas or paper.
How to use gouache paint?
Prepare your gouache paint on a palette before using, then apply using a brush good for watercolours, like a synthetic paintbrush. If the paint begins to dry out on the palette, mist it with water from a spray bottle - adding water may cause it to become too thin.
What Else Can I Find At Spotlight?
You can find other kinds of paint here, including individual tubes and art paint sets, that include:
- Acrylic paints: Flexible, quick drying and easy to blend, acrylic paint is the bread and butter of many beginner and expert artists.
- Watercolour paints: Jewel-bright and easy to paint with, watercolours have a luminous quality that makes them fantastic for painting landscapes, portraits and more.
- Oil paints: These thick paints are very slow to dry and are perfect for when you want to make lots of small, continuous changes to your artwork.
Browse our collection of painting supplies for everything you need to use these gorgeous paints at home or in the studio.
Find the right gouache paints at Spotlight
Ready to start painting with gouache? Shop the range of gouache paint sets online, pay your way and we'll deliver your gouache paints straight to your front door. You can also visit your nearest Spotlight store to shop for Reeves gouache paints in person.
For more fun ways to use your art supplies, read our blogs on how to mix paint colours, the benefits of finger painting and how to paint shadows in art. And for more information on what art and craft supplies you should purchase, check out our buying guides on paints and mediums, paintbrushes and paper and card.