WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Roberts confectionary vanilla mud cake
- 6 inch round 'Mondo' pro cake pan and 6inch 'Mondo' dolly varden tin (optional)
- 10 inch white 'Mondo' round cake board
- Mondo cranked spatula
- 3 tubs Yellow Over the top buttercream
- Piping bag and coupler
- Piping tip - star or drop flower (195)
- Fondtastic forest green or leaf green fondant (250g approx)
- Optional gumpaste (small pot)
- Fondtastic fondant mat
- 'Mondo' medium Rolling pin
- Small sharp knife or pizza cutter
- Food safe wooden skewer
- Small styrofoam cone 60mm x 110mm (or smaller if you prefer)
- Edible Glue
Step 1. Bake cake according to instructions 3 x 1.5 inch high layers (or dolly varden and 2 x round layers).
Let cakes cool and trim to level.
Step 2. Stack cakes on cake board with buttercream in between layers. Makes sure base of cake is stuck to cakeboard using buttercream or melted chocolate. Smooth buttercream over outside of cake in thin layer with spatula and chill for at least 15 minutes (Crumb coat). This initial Crumb coat layer does not have to be perfect. The aim is to keep the crumbs of the cake from showing in the second layer.
Step 3. Repeat process of covering Crumb coat in smooth layer of buttercream for final outer layer prior to piping.
Step 4. Prepare piping tip and bag according to instructions. Fill with yellow buttercream and commence piping at base of cake and work way to the top. Do not overfill piping bag as this will make it difficult to pipe. Refill bag as needed to complete process.
Step 5. Cover styrofoam cone in thin fondant layer. Stick long wooden skewer into wide base of cone then stick skewer into top of cake.
Step 6. Pineapple Leaves can be made using fondant or 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix. Gumpaste will dry quicker and firmer and you can use same method for fondant preparation described below. Or you can use craft paper cutouts.
Prepare fondant according to instructions. Roll out using rolling pin to thin layer on Fondtastic Fondant Mat. Cut out pineapple leaf shapes. Place edible glue or small amount of water on leaf to stick to styrofoam cone covered in fondant. Carefully place fondant leaves in random order at top of cake to complete pineapple. Use toothpicks to support leaves in different positions. Remove once dry.