CHOCOLATE CARAMEL LAYER CAKE
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Caramel Cake Batter
- 120g butter
- 260g castor sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280g plain flour
- 240 ml buttermilk
- 5g bicarbonate of soda
- 15g white wine vinegar
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200ml whipping cream
- 1 tbsp glucose - optional
- Salt flakes - optional
Caramel Butter Frosting:
- 4 large egg whites
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 340 g softened butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Dulche de Leche - optional
- Candy Melts
- Chocolate tin chocolates (or any other chocolate of your choice!)
- TREX or vegetable oil
STEP 1 - Prepare & bake the cake.
- Grease and line the bottom of the tins. Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the creamed mixture.
- Whisk together the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar and quickly stir into the mixture. Pour mixture into prepared cake tins.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the tops are firm and golden to the touch and the sides of the cake are pulling away from the edge of the tin.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack
STEP 2 - Making the Chocolate Ganache
- Heat the cream and glucose (if using) till boiling and pour over the chopped chocolate. Stir until fully combined and leave to cool at room temperature.
- For salted ganache add a little salt to taste
STEP 3 - Preparing the Frosting
- Place the egg whites and sugar together in a large heatproof bowl.
- Place over a bain marie and whisk until the temperature reaches 60C (if you don't have a thermometer it should feel warm to the touch). Be careful, don't let it get too hot, or you will end up with scrambled eggs.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixer with a whisk attachment and whisk on a high speed until it looks shiny.
- Add the butter in stages, then the flavouring and mix on a high speed until smooth and shiny. Don't worry if it splits when you start to add the butter, if you continue to mix it will smooth out.
STEP 4 - Layering the Cake
- Place the cake board onto a turntable if using. If not, place it on a square of parchment paper, as this will make it easier to turn. Place a little of the frosting onto the centre of the board and directly place your first layer of sponge on top.
- Using your palette knife, spread a layer of ganache over the surface of the cake, you want to make this at least 5 mm thick.
- Place the next layer of sponge on top and spread the surface with the Caramel butter frosting. Repeat until all 4 layers of sponge have been used, finishing with a layer of ganache to fill.
- Thinly spread the caramel frosting over the outside of the cake, sides and top. Neatening with a Wilton Icing Smoother.
- Refrigerate to firm up.
STEP 5 - Decorate the cake.
- Heat the ganache slightly so that it is pouring consistency, be careful not to make it too hot and too runny!
- Place into a piping bag and pipe 'drips' around the top edge of your cake. Finish by filling in the surface of the cake. Refrigerate for a few minutes to help set.
- Melt the candy melts as per packet instructions and pour onto a prepared baking tray lined with parchment paper - decorate with chocolates and refrigerate to set.
- Break the candy melts sheets into shards and dust as desired with golden shimmer. Insert carefully into the top of the cake to decorate and attach to the sides.