FLEECE PICNIC BLANKET
What you'll need:
- 1.3m fabric A - white
- 60cm fabric B - pink (includes binding)
- 30cm fabric C - purple
- 30cm fabric D - red
- 60cm fabric E - blue
- 60cm fabric F - yellow
- 60cm fabric G - green
- Backing - 2m black homespun or 1.6m black polar fleece
- 20mm black birch quick release buckle x 2
- 2m x 20mm black cotton tape
- Matching Gutermann thread
- Rotary cutter
- Quilters rulers
- Quilting pins
- Tape measure
- Seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine
- Optional - 15" rotating cutting mat
1cm seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Blanket measures: 60" x 72" (152cm x 184cm)
- From fabric A cut 4 x 10" wide strips across the width of fabric, crosscut strips into 30" x 10" squares.
- From each of fabrics B, C & D cut 1 x 10" strip across the width of fabric, crosscut each strip into 5 x 10" squares for a total of 5x 10" squares in each colour.
- From each of fabrics E, F & G cut 2 x 10" strips across the width of fabric, crosscut strips into 5 x 10" squares for a total of 5 x 10" squares in each colour.
- From fabric B cut 4 x 3" wide strips across the width of fabric, set aside for binding.
Note - Finger press all seams open.
Step 1 - Place 1 x 10" fabric A square and a 1 x 10" fabric B together with right sides facing and pin together around the outside edges. Sew together around all four edges using 1cm seam allowance.
Step 2 - Place sewn square on cutting mat and using quilting ruler and rotary cutter cut across each diagonal.
Step 3 - Separate and open out each section to reveal four half-square triangle units.
Step 4 - To create the chevron design arrange the half-square triangle units as below.
Step 5 - Repeat steps 1-4 four more times to create five chevron sets.
Step 6 - Sew together in the ten half-square triangle units in the top row.
Step 7 - Sew together in the ten half-square triangle units in the bottom row.
Step 8 - Sew together steps 6 and 7 to create a fabric B chevron stripe.
Step 9 - Repeat steps 1-8 using each of fabrics C, D, E, F and G to create a total of 6 chevron stripes.
Step 10 - Arrange chevron sets in desired colour order.
Step 11 - If using homespun as backing cut into 2 x 1m lengths. Pin lengths together along selvedge with right sides facing. Sew together using a 3cm seam allowance. Trim off selvedge and press seam open.
Step 12 - Lay out background fabric (homespun or polar fleece) with wrong side facing up. Place Chevron piece on top with right side facing up and pin together around all edges. Sew together around all four edges.
Step 13 - For binding pin 1 x 3" fabric B strip to right side of one side edge with raw edges aligned. Sew to edge using 15mm seam allowance. Fold raw edge of strip under 15mm and take over the edge to the back covering the seam stitching. Pin in place from front. With right side face up sew in place ensuring fold at the back is caught in stitching. Trim off raw ends. Repeat for the other side edge.
Step 14. To bind top and bottom edges repeat step 13 but fold in ends of binding.
Step 15. For straps, cut black cotton tape into 2 x 1m lengths. Attach a clip and socket section to each length as per instructions.