|Your browser is not supported.|
Please browse our site using any of the following options:
BRAIDED CHRISTMAS WREATH
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Scandi' range
- 20cm Fabric A - Large Stars, red
- 20cm Fabric B - Large Stars, natural
- 20cm Fabric C - Tile, natural
- 20cm Fabric D - Tile, red
- 20cm Fabric E - Starburst, red
- 20cm Fabric F - Holly, natural
- 20cm Fabric G - Dots, red
- 20cm Fabric H - Dots, natural
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot
- Safety pins
- CraftersChoice Stuffin
- Optional - long length of dowel to help with stuffing
Note: 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated. Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D, E & F cut 1 x 5" strip (6 strips in total) crosscut each strip into 1 x 22" length.
- From each of Fabrics G & H cut 1 x 3" strip.
Step 1 - Sew Fabrics A & B together end to end, pressing seam towards A. Fold strip in half lengthways. Pin together across the end of Fabric A and down the side, leaving Fabric B end open. Sew together. Clip corners and turn right side out.
Step 2 - Sew Fabrics C & D together end to end, pressing seam towards C. Fold strip in half lengthways. Pin together across the end of Fabric C and down the side, leaving Fabric D end open. Sew together. Clip corners and turn right side out.
Step 3 - Sew Fabrics E & F together end to end, pressing seam towards E. Fold strip in half lengthways. Pin together across the end of Fabric E and down the side, leaving Fabric F end open. Sew together. Clip corners and turn right side out.
Step 4 - Turn closed end of each long tube over 3/4" and pin with a safety pin. This leaves
1 1/2" at the closed end without stuffing.
Step 5 - Stuff the tubes but do not make too firm as it will make plaiting difficult. Leave 2" at the open end without stuffing.
Step 6 - Undo the safety pins and flatten out the ends. With the 3 tubes side by side lengthways, overlap the closed ends by half Fabric C over Fabric A and Fabric E over Fabric C. Pin and machine or hand sew together.
Step 7 - Plait tubes together. If it is too tight remove some of the stuffing if it is too loose add some more stuffing. Continue plaiting to the open end turning as you go to create a circle shape.
Step 8 - Stop 2" from the end and adjust stuffing if necessary leaving 2" at the end free of stuffing. Fold ends in 1/2" and stitch ends closed. Overlap ends and stitch together. Hand stitch the end of the wreath to the beginning.