CHOCOLATE DRIP CAKE WITH GOLD LEAF
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 3 x 8in cake, make your own using Roberts Edible Craft cake mix
- Filling (we used vanilla swiss meringue buttercream)
- Icing (we used vanilla & rich chocolate buttercream)
- 25cm White Cake board
- Roberts Edible Craft dark chocolate buttons
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Over The Top gold leaf
- #2D Drop Flower Piping Tip
- #4B Open Star Piping Tip
- #1M Open Star Piping Tip
- Decorating Brush
- Offset Palette Knife
- Mondo turn table
- Buttercream ganache scraper
Step 1 - Prepare & bake the cake.
- Bake 3 x 8in cake layers.
- Once cakes are cool use a serrated knife or cake leveller to level tops of cakes
- Place one layer on cake board
- Top with desired cake filling and then place the middle cake layer on
- Repeat with filling and top cake layer
Step 2 - Ice the cake
- Place cake on turntable
- Mix ½ cup vanilla icing with ½ cup chocolate icing in a small bowl.
- Use offset spatula to roughly spread chocolate icing around the bottom section of the cake.
- Repeat with mixed chocolate/vanilla buttercream above chocolate icing
- Add vanilla buttercream to the remaining sides and top of the cake.
- Use buttercream scraper and turntable to combine and smooth icing.
- Place cake in refrigerator for 30mins
- Keep remaining icing to use later
Step 3 - Chocolate Drip
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave
- Add vegetable oil and mix until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Pour cooled chocolate into a piping bag
- Pipe drip around edge of half the cake
Step 4 - Decorate the cake
- Take out 2 gold leaf sheets.
- Using decorating brush lift small sections of gold leaf off backing paper
- Press the gold leaf gently onto the cake with a decorating brush.
- Place remaining buttercream into piping bags.
- Pipe different size and shape rosettes on to the half of the cake with the drip
- Top with Macarons or desired toppings.