Discover the fabulous range of crochet hooks & needles for your next crochet project at Spotlight. Shop plastic & aluminium crochet hooks online.
34 items found.
Experience the Joy of Crafting With Crochet Hooks
Find the perfect crochet hook for your project from the vast range at Spotlight. Whether you are a new learner or experienced crocheter, find the right hook for you. Crocheting is a fun and popular craft enjoyed by many, you can craft amazing things such as baby blankets, hats, scarves, toys, cardigans and more all with just a crochet hook and yarn. Find aluminium crochet hooks, plastic crochet hooks, crochet hooks with ergonomic handles, crochet hook sets and more in many sizes and colours. Our crochet hook value packs are great for beginners looking to start crochet, you'll get various-sized hooks in one pack. Get all the information you need below on the right crochet hook for your needs.
Types of Crochet Hooks
Read more about the various crochet hooks below:
- Wood crochet hooks: Wood hooks have high friction which reduces yarn slippage, however this can mean slow progress.
- Plastic crochet hooks: Plastic crochet hooks are lightweight and have minimal friction allowing you to work quickly. Plastic hooks are flexible and can break with vigorous use.
- Aluminium crochet hooks: Aluminium hooks are strong and durable, they won't break easily. They also have low friction allowing a fast work pace.
- Ergonomic crochet hooks: Crochet hooks with ergonomic handles can help reduce strain.
- Jumbo crochet hooks: When working with thick yarn, a jumbo crochet hook is required.
Crochet Hooks FAQs
How do I choose my crochet hook?
When you just start out with crochet, it might help you to know that most balls of yarn have a label with the recommended crochet hook size on it - this could help you determine which crochet hook to obtain from Spotlight. The ideal size of your crochet hook could also be mentioned on your project pattern.
What is the best crochet hook for beginners?
Customers who want to practise crochet before starting on a project should get a pair of beginner crochet hooks - this is usually the H/8 or 5mm hook. The material your crochet hook is made of can be important too, since some crochet hook materials are easier to work with for beginners than others. For most beginners, the aluminium crochet hook is the best choice.
To start practising crochet, you will also need a ball of yarn to use with your new crochet hook. For beginners, we usually recommend a four-ply knitting yarn. However, if you already have some balls of yarn lying around in your home, then you could use those for practising purposes too.
How do I crochet?
While we could provide you with a lengthy tutorial on how to crochet, we will provide you with a summarised version for beginners. Of course, you can find more detailed techniques and even beginner crochet patterns online.
- Hold your preferred crochet hook in your right hand. Then, make a slip knot on the crochet hook.
- Take the yarn over the crochet hook, do this from back to front. Then, grab it with the hook.
- Pull the hooked yarn through the slip knot you made in the previous step and put it onto the hook. You have now made a one-chain stitch.
- Repeat the previous steps X amount of times until you have the number of stitches you want.
- Once you have the desired number of stitches, bring the hook into the centre of the next chain stitch. Pull the yarn through the stitch and put it on the hook. You should see two loops after doing this.
- Bring the yarn over the crochet hook from back to front, and draw it through both loops until only one loop remains on the hook. Now you have made the crochet stitch.
- Repeat the previous steps until you have reached the end of the chain.
- For the last stitch on the raw, you will make a chain stitch. Then, leave the hook on the chain. After this, you can start another row. Keep on repeating the process until you have the desired length.
- To finish your project, cut the yarn, but leave a little bit of room (don't cut too close to the stitches). Then, draw your crochet hook upwards and bring the yarn through the remaining loop on your hook.
Find Free Crochet Project Ideas at Spotlight
You can find FREE crochet patterns and projects right here at Spotlight to get the creative juices flowing. Popular projects include:
- Crochet Cactus Garden Project
- Popcorn Crochet Granny Square Project
- Soft Baby Cot Blanket Crochet Project
- Crochet Crown Project
Discover the Wide Range of Crochet Hooks For Your Project at Spotlight
At Spotlight, we are here to support your creative journey whether you are new to crochet or more experienced! Crochet is a fun way to keep your hands busy and make special pieces for family and friends. Shop everything you need for your crochet project including yarn and craft lighting and magnifiers. We have the latest fashionable yarn including ombre yarn, chenille yarn, cake yarn and baby yarn for your projects. Spotlight is your destination for craft and hobby supplies, shop online today and enjoy the convenience of home delivery, or find your nearest Spotlight store. Don't forget to browse the catalogue for the latest specials and join the VIP club for exclusive offers.