Fabric By The Metre
Spotlight has an amazing range of fabric by the metre including cotton, linen & sheer fabric. Find the perfect fabrics for your project from the fabric range.
3647 items found.
Discover the Amazing Range of Fabric By the Metre at Spotlight!
Are you looking for fabrics for your latest sewing project? If so, you will find everything you need at Spotlight. In our store, customers can find an amazing selection of fabrics for all types of sewing projects - this includes curtains, clothing, bedding, and much more. Read on to discover our dressmaking fabric buying guide, and get the best fabric options for your upcoming project.
Your Guide to Fabric Fibres
Fabrics are made from fabric fibres. These fabric fibres can be manmade or natural, and this could influence the properties of your selected fabric. Below, we have listed a short overview of the fibres you can expect for current day fabrics.
- Synthetic Fabric Fibres: Most fabrics made from synthetic fibres are quite affordable, which makes them quite suitable for customers who are taking on their first sewing project. Of course, synthetic fibres are quite durable and hold onto its colour better than others.
- Linen Fabric Fibres: Customers who choose linen fabric are often looking for something that dries quickly - this due to the quick drying properties of linen. Most linen fabrics are quite breathable too, which makes them suitable for applications such as clothing and bedding. Linen only has one disadvantage: it tends to wrinkle quite quickly. Aside from that, it is one of the most versatile natural fibres out there.
- Cotton Fabric Fibres: Cotton fabrics are considered amongst the most popular fabrics in the world, since cotton is a fibre that has loads of benefits. Cotton is breathable, durable, does not hold onto smells, and can be used in most sewing projects. In some cases, manufacturers will use a combination of cotton and synthetic fibres to create poly cotton fabrics for durability.
- Silk Fabric and Sateen Fabric Fibres: Even though silk fabric is another type of fabric that could be used for most sewing projects. Silk is a material that naturally drapes well, and is suitable for evening gowns, skirts and curtains. One of the downsides to silk fabric is that this type of fabric can be a little more expensive. Despite this, it is the advised fabric choice for customers who are working on advanced sewing projects. Sateen is a more affordable alternative which has a beautiful shine.
What is a fabric weave?
Most fabrics are created on a loom - this causes the fabric to have a specific weave. A weave is a term used to indicate two or more sets of yarns interlaced with each other. Of course, this weave may vary for various fabric types. Below, we have listed a quick overview of common weave types, which you could take into consideration when shopping for your fabric.
What are the different types of fabric weaves?
- Plain Weave: Most fabrics will have a plain weave - this is the simplest and the most affordable type of fabric weave out there. A plain weave has a weft that alternates over and under the warp.
- Basket Weave: As the name indicates, this type of weave closely resembles a plaited basket. It is characterised by two or more wrap ends and filling picks, but woven like a plain weave.
- Twill Weave: The twill weave is also a common occurrence amongst fabrics. It is characterised by diagonal lines across the surface, and is often used for tailored suits and other formal men's clothing.
- Oxford Weave: An Oxford weave is thin and soft, yet durable. It is a double weave variation, but still based on the plain weave construction, which provides this weave with its durability.
- Satin Weave: Fabrics with a satin weave can be recognised by the shiny surface of the fabric. The nature of this weave is not as much determined by the manufacturing method, but by the yarn used to create a satin weave fabric.
What are examples of natural fabrics?
Natural fabrics are a popular choice for sewing projects. Natural fabrics you can shoes from include cotton, jute, linen, hemp and flax.
How much fabric do I need?
When purchasing fabric for your project, carefully measure and add on as least one metre of extra fabric. This allows for any mistakes and testing space to occur when sewing.
What Else Can I Find in the Sewing and Fabrics Range at Spotlight?
At Spotlight, have everything you need to make your sewing and quilting goals come to life! We have great essentials including:
- Sewing machines: shop quality sewing machines and overlocking machines for your project.
- Sewing thread: stock up on essential sewing threads in a variety of colours.
- Haberdashery: find all the bits and pieces for your project including buttons, elastics, binding and more.
Discover the entire sewing and fabrics range at Spotlight online or in-store today!
Shop the Wide Range of Fabrics for Your Next Sewing Project at Spotlight
At Spotlight, customers can conveniently purchase fabrics by the metre. The range includes great dressmaking fabrics, quilting fabric and specialty fabric such as polar fleece fabric, dance knit fabric, flannelette fabric and linen fabric. Customers can also get the best prices on fabrics at Spotlight - this because of our lowest price guarantee. There are also special deals for our Spotlight VIP members, who can get their specialty fabrics even cheaper. So, be sure to check out our VIP service if you need fabric regularly. Discover our FREE sewing projects and helpful articles such as A Guide to Sewing For Beginners and Five Sewing Projects to Improve Your Sewing Skills.