|Your browser is not supported.|
Please browse our site using any of the following options:
WARLU INDIGENOUS QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 30cm Fabric A - Desert Fringe Rush Margarina Miller, Blue
- 30cm Fabric B - Seed Dreaming Sylviana Briscoe, Marine
- 30cm Fabric C - Seed Dreaming Evelyn Daniels, Multi
- 30cm Fabric D - Seed Dreaming Evelyn Daniels, Multi
- 30cm Fabric E - Seed Dreaming Evelyn Daniels, Multi
- 3m Prima Homespun, Black (includes binding)
- 2m x 1.3m Fabric of choice for backing
- 2m x 1.3m Legacy cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From each of Fabrics A, B, C, D & E cut 3 x 3 1/2" strips (15 strips in total).
- From black homespun cut 25 x 1 1/2" strips and 5 x 2 1/2" strips for binding.
Step 1 - Sew a black 1 1/2" strip to each side of a 3 1/2" Fabric A, B, C, D & E strip. Alternate sewing the strips from top to bottom and vice versa to help keep the strip sets straight and flat. Press seams towards black strips. This makes one strip set. Repeat to make a second strip set.
Step 2 - Cut the remaining 3 1/2" Fabric A, B, C, D & E strips in half, set one of each aside. Cut the remaining 5 x 1 1/2" homespun strips in half. Sew half strip of black homespun to each side of a 3 1/2" half strip of Fabric A, B, C, D & E, alternate sewing the strips from top to bottom and vice versa to help keep the half strip sets straight and flat. Press seams towards black strips. This makes one half strip set.
Step 3 - Crosscut each strip set into 5 1/2" lengths to create 7 x 5 1/2" squares from each strip and 1 from each half strip set for a total of 75 x 5 1/2" blocks.
Step 4 - Arrange the blocks into 9 rows with 8 squares in each row, alternating the direction of the blocks as in diagram.
Step 5 - When happy with the arrangement sew blocks together in rows pressing seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
Step 6 - Pin and sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
Step 7 - Layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
Step 8 - Join the 5 x 2 1/2" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.