NOTTING HILL QUILT
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Fabrics are from Notting Hill range
- 20cm Fabric A - Stem Floral, pink
- 40cm Fabric B - Large Floral, yellow
- 20cm Fabric C - Mono Floral, pink
- 20cm Fabric D - Paisley, cream
- 40cm Fabric E - Stem Floral, green
- 70cm Fabric F - Large Floral, green
- 40cm Fabric G - Prima homespun, popcorn
- 1.1m Fabric H - Mono Floral, green for setting triangles, borders & binding
- 2.6m Notting Hill fabric of choice for Backing
- 1.3m x 1.3m Sew Easy double-sided fusible, cotton/bamboo batting
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot. All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated. Read all instructions carefully before commencing the quilt.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From Fabric A cut 1 x 6 1/2 inch strip, crosscut into 5 x 6 1/2 inch squares.
- From Fabrics B, E & G cut 2 x 6 1/2 inch strips crosscut each colour into 8 x 6 1/2 inch squares.
- From Fabrics C, D & F cut 1 x 6 1/2 inch strip crosscut each colour into 4 x 6 1/2 inch squares.
- From Fabric H cut 1 x 9 3/4 inch strip, crosscut into 4 x 9 3/4 inch squares, cut in half diagonally twice for 16 side setting triangles 1 x 51/8 inch strip, crosscut into 2 x 1/8 inch squares, cut in half diagonally once for 4 corner setting triangles 5 x 2 1/2 inch strips for borders and 5 x 2 1/2 inch strips for binding fabric.
1. Refer to Diagram 1 for block placement. Sew the blocks in each row together. Press seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
2. Refer to Diagram 2 and sew a side setting triangle to each end of rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 and a corner setting triangle to each end of row 5. Press seams in same direction as blocks.
3. Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
4. Sew the remaining two corner setting triangles to the top of row 1 and the bottom of row 9. Press and trim to square up corners.
5. For the border sew one 2 1/2 inch Fabric H border strip to each side of the quilt. Press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric. Cut 1 x 1/2 inch Fabric H border strip in half and one half to on end of the 2 remaining border strips. Sew to the top and bottom of the quilt, press and trim off any excess
6. Cut backing fabric in half remove selvedge and using 1/2 inch seam allowance sew together lengthways. Press seam open. Cut backing into 130cm square.
7. Fuse batting between quilt top and backing or layer the backing, batting and quilt top and baste together. Quilt as desired.
8. Join the 8 x 2 1/2 inch binding strips on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.