DORY BEDSIDE BOOK HOLDER
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Finding Dory fabric - 1 metre of one design (Fabric A) and 40cm of a different design (Fabric B)
- 2.25 metres of orange bias binding
- 1/2 a metre padded interfacing
- 40cm x 30cm piece of iron on interfacing
- Orange sewing machine thread to match the bias binding
Fabric 1: Cut 1 piece, 80cms wide x 46cms long (backing lining), cut 2 pieces 80cms wide x 29cms long (back pocket), cut 1 piece 80cms wide x 17cms long (front pocket lining), cut 2 pieces 23cm wide x 17cms long (front pocket patches)
Fabric 2: Cut 1 piece, 80cms wide x 46cms long (backing), cut 2 pieces 23cm wide x 17cms long (front pocket patches)
Fabric 3: Cut lengths on bias 6cms wide, for binding.
Fabric 4: Cut 2 pieces 80cms wide x 70cms long (for under the mattress).
Fusible Fleece: Cut 1 piece 80cms wide x 29cms long (back pocket), cut 1 piece 80cms wide x 17cms long (front pocket).
1. Iron fusible fleece to the back of the one of the back pocket pieces, and one to the front pocket lining.
2. Pin and sew front pocket patches alternating along the 17cms long wide side, using a 1.5cm seam allowance, press seam flat. Trim back to 80cms wide.
3. With fleece side up, lay the front pieces of the pockets over the lining, and pin together at intervals to keep together.
4. Sew length of bias cut binding to the top of both pockets using a 6mm seam allowance. Fold raw edge under 1cms and fold to back of pocket. Pin and ditch stitch from the front to secure back of binding.
5. Lay front pocket on back pocket with raw edges together and pin. Ditch stitch the centre seam of the front pocket to the back pocket.
6. Pin and sew backing to flannelette along 80cm wide edge and sew using a 1.5cm seam allowance, press seam flat. Repeat with backing lining and second piece of flannelette.
7. With right sides facing lay the backing with Fabric 2 facing up. Lay pockets to backing with edges together and pin through all layers. Trim to ensure all edges straight if necessary.
8. Ditch Stitch outer patch pocket seams through all layers.
9. Join 3 lengths of bias together, pin and sew using a, 6mm seam allowance, around all edges, mitring corners, and joining in the centre of the flannelette section. Fold raw edge under 1cms and fold to back, again mitring corners. Pin and ditch stitch from the front to secure back of binding.
10. Press to finish.