WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Pencil and paper for template
- Fabric A x 1m
- Fabric B x 1m
- Lining fabric x 3m
- Flexifoam Stabilizer x 1.5m
- Buckram x 50cm
- Piping Cord x 3m
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Zipper foot
- Tape measure
- Thick rope 1.5m
- Vinyl x 1m
- 70cm zip
- Hand sewing needle
Make stencil of semi-circle 35cm high and 50cm across base.
Using this stencil:
- Cut 2 pieces Fabric A
- Cut 2 pieces lining fabric
- Cut 2 pieces Flexifoam Stabilizer
Place 1 piece of Fabric A face up on top of Flexifoam and quilt in a diagonal pattern. Repeat with the second piece.
- Cut 2 pieces thin piping cord 125cm long
- Cut 2 pieces lining fabric 123cm x 4cm
Place piping cord lengthwise down the centre of each piece of fabric. Fold fabric over piping, edges together. Sew close to the piping using a zipper foot and matching thread.
Pin the piping around the curved edge on each quilted bag side. Sew in place.
Make the handles:
- Cut 2 pieces thick rope 65cm long
- Cut 2 pieces vinyl 77cm x 6cm
Place rope lengthwise down the centre of each piece of vinyl. Fold vinyl over the rope, edges together. Sew close to the rope using a zipper foot and matching thread. Trim vinyl close to the stitching. Trim ends of handles in an almond shape. Position on to bag sides and edge stitch around almond shape to attach.
Make the pockets:
- Cut 2 pieces Fabric B 15cm x 14cm
- Cut 2 pieces lining 15cm x 14cm
- Cut 2 pieces Fabric A 15cm x 5cm for pocket binding
Place Fabric B right side up on top of lining. Place binding (Fabric A) face down along top edge. Sew 1.5cm seam. Press open. Fold towards back of pocket and tuck fabric under. Press. Ditch stitch on the front of the pocket to hold binding in place.
Make the gusset:
- Cut 2 pieces Fabric B 70cm x 8.5cm
- Cut 2 pieces lining 70cm x 8.5cm
- Cut 2 pieces Flexifoam 70cm x 7.5cm
- 70cm zip
With the lining fabric face up on table, place the zip along edge. Place Fabric B face down on top of zip. Using a zipper foot, sew along the zip, securing the ends. Turn right way out and press. Repeat with the other side of the zip.
Insert a piece of Flexifoam between Fabric B and the lining. Attach the Flexifoam to the lining along outside edge using a zigzag stitch. Repeat for other side. Topstitch all layers close to zipper edge.
Attach the pockets to the gusset:
- Cut 2 pieces Fabric B 15cm x 15cm
- Cut 2 pieces lining 15cm x 15cm
- Cut 2 pieces Flexifoam 15cm x 14cm
Place one end of the zipper gusset on top of lining, then place Fabric B face down on top of gusset. Sew across end of gusset, through all layers, starting and finishing 1cm from the edges. Secure. NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL SEWING OVER ZIP - use handwheel and adjust fabric as necessary. Open out and press. Repeat at the other end of gusset.
Insert Flexifoam as before, securing to the ends of lining using a zigzag stitch. Baste pockets to Fabric B with a zigzag stitch around edges, leaving the binding edge open. Trim gusset so edges are neat.
Join sides and gusset:
Pin and sew bag sides to gusset - quilted side to Fabric B - lining to lining, leaving a 25cm opening at top of lining. DO NOT SEW ACROSS BOTTOM EDGE. Open the zip.
- Cut 1 piece Fabric A 50cm x 15cm
- Cut 1 piece lining 50cm x 15cm
- Cut 1 piece Buckram 50cm x 15cm
Baste lining to Flexifoam around all edges with a zigzag stitch. Attach lining base to lining sides, then attach printed fabric base to printed sides. Clip corners of bases. Turn bag right way out through the opening in the lining. Hand sew opening closed.