DARLING LANE SEWING CADDY
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 1 pack Legacy L-SF101 Cotton Fusible Interfacing
- 2 packs of Bag Chick Oblong Rings 38x18mm, silver
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4 in foot & walking foot
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From Fabric A cut - 2 x 8 1/2" strips, crosscut into 2 x 15" lengths for front and back and 2 x 7" lengths for ends - from remainder of strip cut one 7" x 15" length for the base.
- From Fabric B cut - 2 x 8 1/2" strips, crosscut into 4 x 8" lengths for front and back lining, and 2 x 7" lengths for ends from remainder of strip cut two 7" x 8" lengths for the base and two 7" x 7" squares for divider.
- From Fabric C cut - 1 x 6 1/2" strip, crosscut into 2 x 15" lengths for front and back pockets.
- From Fabric D cut - 1 x 5" strip, crosscut into 2 x 9" lengths for end pockets and 2 x 6" lengths for pocket flaps.
- From Fabric E cut - 1 x 6 1/2" strip, crosscut into 2 x 15" lengths for front and back pocket lining and 1 x 5" strip, crosscut into 2 x 9" lengths for end pocket lining and 2 x 6" lengths for pocket flap lining.
- From Fabric F cut - 2 x 2 1/2" strips for binding, 2 x 4" strips, crosscut into 2 x 30" lengths for straps and from remainder of strips cut eight 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" lengths for tabs.
- From Flexi-Foam cut - two 14 1/4" x 7 3/4" rectangles for front and back, two 6 1/4" x 7 3/4" pieces for ends, one 14 1/4" x 6 1/4" rectangle for base, and one 6 1/4" x 6 1/4" square for divider.
- From cotton fusible interfacing cut - two 4" x 30" strips, two 15" x 6 1/2" lengths, two 9" x 5" lengths, 6" x 5" pieces, four 8" x 8 1/2" pieces, two 8" x 7" pieces, two 7" x 8 1/2" pieces, 1 x 7" square, and eight 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" lengths.
Step 1. Fuse the two 14 1/4" x 7 3/4" flexi-foam rectangles to the wrong side of the two 15" x 8 1/2" Fabric A front and back rectangles and the two 6 1/4" x 7 3/4" pieces of flexi-foam to the wrong side of the two 7" x 8 1/2" Fabric A pieces.
Step 2. Fuse the 14 1/4" x 6 1/4" rectangle of flexi-foam to the wrong side of the 15" x 7" Fabric A base rectangle and the 6 1/4" flexi-foam square to the wrong side of one 7" Fabric B divider square.
Step 3. Fuse the two 9" x 15" lengths of cotton interfacing to the wrong side of Fabric C front and back pockets, the two 9" x 5" lengths to the wrong side of Fabric D end pockets and the two 6" x 5" pieces to the wrong side of the pocket flaps.
Step 4. Fuse the two 4" x 30" strips to the wrong side of Fabric F straps and the eight 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" lengths to the wrong side of Fabric E tabs. Fuse remaining interfacing to the wrong side of all remaining Fabric B lining pieces.
Step 5. Pin front pocket and pocket lining with right sides facing and sew together along the top edge. Open out and with wrong side facing and sides and bottom edges aligned press along the top edge. Topstitch 1/8" in along the top edge. Repeat for the back pocket.
Step 6. Cut bottom edge of end pocket to 7" as in diagram.
Step 7. To create a pleat in the pocket, fold pocket in half with right sides facing so top edge measures 4 1/2" and bottom edge 3 1/2". Draw a line 1/2" in from fold and 1 1/4" down from the top edge. Stitch down the line backstitching at bottom. Open out pocket and press pleat flat so fold
line is on top of stitching. With right side of pocket facing, topstitch 1 1/4" down one side 1/8" from the pleat seam and 1 1/4" up the other side. Repeat for the other end pocket and for the end pocket linings.
Step 8. Round the bottom corners of the pocket flaps and pocket flap linings. Pin pocket flap and pocket flap lining right sides facing and sew together around the edge leaving a 3" opening in the top straight edge. Clip corners, turn right side out and press. Press seam allowance of the opening to the inside. Topstitch down the sides and around the curved edge. Repeat for remaining flap and lining.
Step 9. Draw a line 3" down from the top edge of one bag end panel. Place the straight edge of the flap on the line so that curved edge is up over the top edge of the end panel and lining of flap is facing. Topstitch along the straight edge of the flap closing seam and attaching flap to the end panel. Repeat to attach the other flap to remaining end panel.
Step 10. With pocket flap up, place end pocket onto panel aligning side and bottom edges. Pin in place and baste using 1/8" seam allowance. Repeat for other end pocket.
Step 11. Pin Fabric B divider squares right sides facing and sew together along the top edge. Press with wrong side facing and topstitch 1/8" in along the top edge.
Step 12. Place divider from step 11 along right-hand edge of 8 1/2" lining panel, with side and bottom edges aligned. Place a second 8 1/2" lining panel on top with right-hand side and bottom edges aligned. Stitch down the side edge only stopping 1/4" from bottom. Press seam open. Repeat to attach remaining lining panels to other side of the divider.
Step 13. Pin and sew one end lining panel to end of 8 1/2" lining panel again stopping 1/4" from bottom. Repeat to sew the remaining end lining panel to other lining panel. Then sew the remaining sides of end lining panels to free edges of the lining panels. Press well.
Step 14. Pin one lining base in place with right sides facing and raw edges aligned. Sew base to lining sewing one edge at a time and only one layer of the divider. Pin the other lining base in place with right sides facing and raw edges aligned. Sew base to lining sewing one edge at a time and to remaining layer of divider. With right sides facing, stitch the two dividers together for about 5" along the bottom in the centre.
STRAPS & TABS
Step 15. Press one 4" x 30" Fabric F handle in half lengthways. Open out and fold top edge down to the crease and press. Fold the other edge in to the crease and press. Refold in half on the original fold and press. Topstitch down both long edges. Repeat for remaining handle.
Step 16. Mark each short end of straps 1/2" and 1 1/2" from the ends. Fold on lines and press.
Step 17. Pin 2 Fabric F tabs right sides facing and sew together leaving one short end unstitched. Clip corners, turn right side out and press. Repeat making a total of 4 tabs.
Step 18. Mark 1" down from raw end of tab and press. Slide an oblong ring on to sit in the fold. On front main panel mark 1" down from top edge. Pin tab 3" in from side edge with tab fold on the line and oblong ring at the top. Sew across tab 1/8" from bottom edge and 1/4" below the oblong ring. Repeat for other tab on front panel and 2 tabs on the back panel.
Step 19. Pin and baste pockets to front and back panels aligning side and bottom edges.
Step 20. Pin and sew ends to front and back panels stopping 1/4" from the bottom on each seam. Press seams open. Pin base in place with right sides facing and raw edges aligned. Sew base to outer sewing one edge at a time. Press well and turn right side out.
Step 21. Place lining inside bag with wrong sides facing, matching corners and top edges aligned. Baste together around the top edge.
Step 22. Join the 2 x 2 1/2" Fabric F binding strips on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise. Measure around the top edge of bag and add 1/2". Cut strip to size, join ends to make a loop pressing seam open. Starting with the binding seam in the centre of the back panel pin binding onto the lining side with raw edges of binding and raw edges of bag aligned. Sew binding in place. fold binding to the outside, pin in place and topstitch 1/8" from the fold.
Step 23. Thread one short end of strap on one oblong ring on front panel. Sew across strap 1/8" from bottom end then stitch 1/4" above the oblong ring. Repeat for other end of strap on front panel then for ends of strap on the back panel.
The information on this project sheet is presented in good faith, but no warranty is given, nor results guaranteed. Quantities and selections may vary at each store.