WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Note: All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed. 1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated. Read all instructions carefully before commencing the project.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From white Puppy Paws fabric cut 2 x 5 1/2 inch strips, crosscut strips into 12 x 5 1/2 inch squares.
- From black Puppy Paws fabric cut 2 x 3 1/2 inch strips for side borders and 2 x 5 1/2 inch strips, crosscut strips into 13 x 5 1/2 inch squares.
1. Arrange the 25 x 5 1/2 inch squares into 5 rows alternating the black and white.
2. Sew the squares in each row together. Press seams in one direction alternating the direction in each row.
3. Sew the rows together matching seams. Press seams in one direction.
4. Sew a 3 inchborder strip to each side of the top. Press seams towards border and trim off any excess fabric.
5. Cut black homespun 30 1/2 inch x 25 1/2 inch for backing.
6. Place top and backing right sides facing and sew together around all sides leaving a 20 inch opening in the centre of the bottom edge to insert the wadding.
7. Clip corners and turn right side out.
8. Cut 4 pieces of wadding 28 inch x 23 inch. Place wadding into cover and hand sew opening closed.
Optional - Topstitch around all sides 1/8 inch from the edge.
9. Using walking foot or free-motion foot quilt in the ditch around all black squares.