How To Choose The Right Dinner Set
A matching dinner set can elevate your formal dinner events to the next level, and can even make family dinner night a little bit extra special too! You can find a beautiful selection of dinnerware sets at Spotlight, but how do you choose which ones are right for you and your family? When buying dinnerware you need to consider what materials the dinner set is made of, how many pieces come in each, and if you'll even use what comes in them.
So to help you make that decision, let's delve deep into what makes a dinner set, how to choose one and if you really even need one in the first place.
- Why Should I Be Buying Dinnerware Sets?
- What Kinds Of Dinnerware Sets Can I Find At Spotlight?
- Popular Bowl And Plate Set Materials
- Popular Dinnerware Styles
- How To Care For Your Bowl And Plate Sets
Why Should I Be Buying Dinnerware Sets?
Why buy a dinner set, if you can just pick and choose individual pieces instead? Well, there are many good reasons for buying dinnerware collections, including:
- Cheaper price - add up the price of all the individual pieces, and you'll often find that buying your dinnerware in a set actually works out cheaper than buying all the products one at a time.
- Matching colours and style - when you buy a complete bowl and plate set, you can be assured each piece will complement and match when you set them out. Never again worry about your dinnerware's colours or styles clashing!
- Easier to transport - This is a one-time bonus, but a great one! If you are picking and choosing different plates, bowls and cups to take home, getting them home in one piece can be tricky. Whether it's carefully stacking them in your bag, walking through the shops without banging into anything or keeping them from sliding around in your car, chances are all of these pieces jumbling around together will cause a chip or crack. Buy a boxed dinnerware set and rest assured each piece is padded, protected and ready to be taken home safely!
- Great for new homeowners - if you have just moved into a new place and need some dinnerware fast, a dinnerware set gives you everything you need in one go! And a few different sets will allow you to build a collection you can swap in and out easily depending on your needs.
- Great for a kitchen & dining makeover - if you think your kitchen and dining room need a refresh, a new dinnerware set is a great place to start! The beautiful colours and intricate patterns of our dinner sets are great bases to build your kitchen and dining room style around.
What Kinds Of Dinnerware Sets Can I Find At Spotlight?
The dinnerware sets you'll find at Spotlight are generally split into two types, with each type available in different numbers to suit the size of your household.
Bowl and plate sets
These sets contain dinner plates, entree plates and bowls, with some also having additional shallow bowls included as well. Perfect for when you just need to bulk out your kitchen cupboards, these sets come in 12, 18 and 32 piece sets.
Bowl, plate and cup sets
These dinner sets come with everything you'll find in the above dinnerware sets, but with additional hot drink mugs as well. They are perfect if you need to stock your kitchen from scratch, and come in 16 and 24 piece sets.
Popular Bowl And Plate Set Materials
You will find that Spotlight's dinnerware sets come in two types of ceramic material - stoneware and porcelain. If you aren't sure about which material is the best for you, here is a quick rundown on each.
Stoneware dinner sets
Made of natural clays, stoneware is usually fired at very hot temperatures ranging from 1100â„ƒ to 1300â„ƒ, and can be fired twice for a more attractive glaze. It is non-porous and thicker than materials like porcelain or china, meaning that this dinnerware material is very durable. It can be used in the dishwasher, microwave or oven, although certain glazes or paints may affect this, so always check the information on your new dinnerware set before using them!
Porcelain dinner sets
Fired at extremely hot temperatures ranging from 1200â„ƒ to 1400â„ƒ, porcelain is made from fine particle clays and is known for its soft white colour and, in some cases, semi-translucency. It is more delicate than stoneware, but still non-porous and suitable for dishwasher, microwave and oven use unless indicated otherwise. Porcelain can be sculpted into beautiful shapes and designs, and porcelain dinnerware is often brought out for dining on special occasions.
Popular Dinnerware Styles
Now that you have an idea of what kind of dinnerware you want, it's time for the most fun part - choosing which set will look best! Spotlight's range of dinnerware styles includes the most popular dinner set looks, so let's go through each so you can choose which one will fit right into your kitchen or dining room.
- Plain neutral - these blank-slate dinner sets come in attractive neutral colours like white, off-white, cream and beige. Their unassuming hues mean they can be matched with kitchens and dining rooms in pretty much any style, and are great for everyday dining.
- Plain textured - coloured in the matching neutrals we discussed above, these dinnerware sets also feature a little textured detailing that steps them up from the plain bowl and plate sets while still retaining their 'everyday usage' looks.
- Earthy colour - these inviting dinner sets come in natural earthen tones like terracotta and charcoal, giving you a bolder colour that is attractive without being overwhelming. They suit rustic and homey dining rooms and are well-suited for any occasion.
- Minimalist patterns - often featuring a white or off-white background, these dinner sets are a step above the rest thanks to their delicate and charming patterns. Coming in a variety of colours and styles, there's sure to be a patterned dinner set to suit your home and special event!
- Colourful eclectic - looking for a dinnerware set that will draw eyes and impress your guests? Look for dinner sets with full coverage in incredible patterns! Available in monochrome and rainbow varieties, these stunning bowl and plate sets will make every meal more enjoyable.
How To Care For Your Bowl And Plate Sets
To get the most out of your dinner sets it's important to clean and use them correctly. Cared for properly, stoneware and porcelain dinner sets can last a lifetime! Here are some dinner set care tips to keep in mind:
- Don't leave them to soak, as it can cause the protective glazing to break down, which can lead to greater chances of your plates cracking or chipping. If you have stubborn stains to clean off, scrub the stain with a paste made of white vinegar and baking soda.
- Stoneware and porcelain are susceptible to thermal shock, which means they can crack if they are subject to rapid changes between extreme temperatures. For example, avoid moving dinnerware from the fridge straight into the oven, or from the oven straight into a sink of cold water.
- Help your porcelain dinnerware avoid chipping in the dishwasher by ensuring it is not touching any other dishware when placed into a rack.
- While Spotlight dinner sets are durable, take care when putting them away and getting them out, as a sudden drop can cause even the most durable ceramic to break or crack!
Find The Best Dinnerware Sets At Spotlight
Ready to discover some of the best dinnerware sets Australia has to offer? Discover all the quality tableware you could want online or in your nearest Spotlight store today! And for everything kitchen and dining related, browse our extensive dining collection for all you need to cook and serve amazing meals for your family and friends.