Sewing & Fabrics Books
Get the best tips from Spotlight's range of fantastic and helpful sewing books. Learn how to sew and make the best dress you ever dreamed of!
No products match your preferences, please try widening your selection options
Can I buy sewing books from Spotlight?
Yes, you can. This selection of sewing books includes lots of different patterns and books full of tips and tricks to create your own fashionable garments. Whether you are looking to make a classic and elegant A-Line skirt or a stunning dress that would be suitable for any occasion, our collection of sewing and fabric books is a great place to look.
How do I purchase these fabulous books from Spotlight?
To purchase our selection of sewing books, shop online and follow the instructions right through to check out. We accept all major payment methods, including Visa, MasterCard and PayPal and we will deliver right to your door. See here for more information regarding delivery costs and times. You can also buy our sewing books in one of our nationwide stores. We have a wide selection of books available in store, and one of our team will be more than happy to help you in any way.
What is included in this range?
There are so many of our sewing books to choose from, the best thing to do is to consider the project that you are hoping to make. At Spotlight, we have a selection of books and patterns for producing a wide variety of different clothes, including skirts and dresses, tops and blouses and even vintage clothing. Whether you are making clothes for yourself, a family member, a child or a friend, these fabulous and easy to follow sewing books include a wide range of different styles and designs that would be suitable for a variety of occasions.
Do you have tips for first-time sewers using a pattern?
After you have mastered the basics of sewing and textiles, learning to sew using a pattern is perceived as being the next natural step. This will open up a world of possibilities, giving you the option and ability to create a huge, seemingly limitless, assortment of garments, whether they are clothing items, accessories, costumes, soft toys, or anything else.
1. Choosing your pattern: For your first time, we recommend choosing a simple, easy pattern and getting to grips with the process before taking on a more challenging item.
2. Measurements: Begin with measuring your intended wearer and selecting the right size of pattern for them. Most pattern companies follow an international code, and some patterns are multi-sized, which means they can be suitable for a wide range of sizes. Look at the pattern carefully to figure out where to cut for each size.
3. Extra: A 'designer ease' refers to the extra fabric that you have cut and the allowance that you give for fit. Read the instructions on the individual pattern, or within the book, and compare measurements in order to find the allowance. This should be done with fabrics that have 'stretch', and not knit fabrics.
4. Cut out the pattern pieces: Cut these out using the solid lines on the pattern as a guide, and ensure that you use sharp purpose made scissors for the best cut.
5. Read the Instructions: Each pattern comes fully equipped with their own set of easy to follow step-by-step instructions, read these carefully to avoid any mistakes.
Who would appreciate a sewing book as a gift?
Our extensive collection of sewing books, at Spotlight, would make a great gift idea for someone who loves making their own clothes or wants to learn how. So whether it is a Mother's Day gift for your mother or grandmother, a birthday present for your sister, or a stocking filler for anyone who fancies themselves as a fashion designer, our range of sewing books could be a great practical gift idea that they are sure to love.