JOCELYN PROUST WALL HANGING
Wall hanging measures:
32" x 41 1/2" (81cm x 105cm)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Fabrics are from 'Jocelyn Proust 4' range
- 40cm Fabric A - All Animals, Teal
- 20cm Fabric B - Gum Blossom, Blue
- 30cm Fabric C - Bilby, Teal
- 30cm Fabric D - Regent Honeyeater, Mint
- 30cm Fabric E - Eclectus Parrot, Ivory
- 30cm Fabric F - Goudian Finch, Ivory
- 30cm Fabric G - Platypus, Teal
- 50cm Fabric H - Gum Blossom, Emerald
- 30cm Fabric I - Gum Leaf, Aqua
- 30cm Fabric J - Gum Leaf, Green for binding & rod pocket
- 1.5m Fabric K - Eucalyptus Floral, Mint (includes backing)
- 30cm Fabric L - Rainbow Lorikeet, Blue
- 40cm Fabric M - Prima Homespun, Junior Navy
- 1m x 1.2m Legacy cotton/bamboo batting
- Legacy Fuse-Under Fusible Web
- Matching Gutermann 100% cotton thread
- Clear Template Plastic
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Quilting pins, tape measure
- Scissors, seam ripper
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine with 1/4" foot & walking foot
All fabrics should be 100% cotton, washed & pressed.
1/4" seam allowance used throughout unless otherwise indicated.
All strips are cut across the width of fabric unless otherwise stated.
- From the template plastic cut a 3 3/4" circle and one 4 1/2" square.
- Use the circle template fussy cut one of each of the seven animals from Fabric A.
- From Fabric B cut 2 x 2" strips, crosscut into two 13" x 2" strips and two 16" x 2" strips for Border 1.
- Using the 4 1/2" square template fussy cut 2 x 4 1/2" squares of animals/birds from each of Fabrics C, D, E, F & G.
- From Fabric H cut 2 x 2 1/4" strips, crosscut each into 14 rectangles 4 1/2" x 2 1/4" and 4 x 3" strips for Outer Border 3.
- From Fabric I cut 3 x 2 1/2" strips for Border 2.
- From Fabric J cut 4 x 2 1/2" strips for binding and 1 x 8 1/2" strip for the rod pocket.
- From Fabric K cut 1 x 2 1/2" strip and 1 x 8" strip, crosscut into one 7 1/2" x 8" and two 6" x 8" pieces.
- From Fabric L fussy cut two blocks 5" x 8".
- From Fabric M, Junior Navy Prima, cut one 13" square.
Step 1 - Centre Block - Trace around the circle template onto the paper side of the fuse-under to make 7 circles. Fuse one circle to the wrong side of each fussy cut Fabric A circle.
Step 2 - Arrange the circles in the centre of the navy Prima square. When happy with layout remove backing paper from circles and fuse onto square. Zigzag or straight stitch around the edge of each circle and press well.
Step 3 - Border 1 - Sew one 13" x 2" Fabric B strip to each side of the centre block, press seams towards border. Sew one 16" x 2" Fabric B strip to top and bottom edges pressing seams towards border.
Step 4 - Pieced Units - 4 1/2" fussy cut Fabric C, D, E, F & G squares and Fabric H 4 1/2" x 2 1/4" rectangles. Select 3 squares and sew together using a Fabric H strip between as in Diagram 1. Press seams in one direction. Make two units. Sew one unit to each side of the centre unit.
Step 5 - Select 4 squares and 5 strips. Sew together as in Diagram 2. Press seams in one direction. Make 2 units. Sew one unit to the top edge and one to the bottom edge.
Step 6 - Border 2 - Take the 3 x 2 1/2" Fabric I strips for Border 2, trim off selvedges and sew together end to end into one long strip. Cut two lengths 25" lengths and sew one to each side of the centre. Press seams towards border and trim off excess fabric. Cut remaining strip in half and sew one length top and one to bottom edge. Press seam towards border and trim off excess fabric.
Step 7 - Pieced Unit - 5" x 8" fussy cut Fabric L rectangles and two 6" x 8" and one 7 1/2" x 8" Fabric K rectangles. Sew together in the following order Fabric K 6" x 8" rectangle, Fabric L fussy cut rectangle, 7 1/2" x 8" Fabric K rectangle, Fabric L fussy cut rectangle, Fabric K 6" x 8" rectangle as in Diagram 3. Press seams in one direction. Sew unit to bottom edge.
Step 8 - Sew 2 1/2" Fabric K strip to the top edge, trim off excess fabric and press seam towards Fabric K.
Step 9 - Border 3 - Take the 4 x 3" Fabric H strips for Border 3, trim off selvedges and sew together end to end into one long strip. Cut two lengths 39" lengths and sew one to each side of the centre. Press seams towards border and trim off excess fabric. Cut remaining strip in half and sew one length top and one to bottom edge. Press seam towards border and trim off excess fabric.
Step 10 - Layer the backing, batting and top and baste together. Quilt as desired. Trim.
Step 11 - Rod Pocket - Measure the width of the quilted top and cut the 8 1/2" Fabric J strip and trim to that length. Double hem the short edges by pressing under 1/4" then another 1/4" and topstitch. Fold strip in half lengthways with wrong sides together and raw edges aligned and sew together.
Step 12 - Centre the strip along the top edge against the backing, aligning raw edge with edge of the quilted piece. Sew pocket to quilted piece using 1/8" seam allowance. Binding is attached in the usual manner.
Step 13 - Join the 4 x 2 1/2" binding strips together on the bias to make one long strip. Press in half lengthwise and bind mitering corners. Attach a label or sign and date your quilt.