|Your browser is not supported.|
Please browse our site using any of the following options:
TRADITIONAL QUILTED BAUBLES
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Fabrics are from 'Flat Fats Xmas' range:
- 3 Xmas Flat Fats per bauble (e.g. 2 red, 1 white)
- 6pk x 65mm Decofoam Balls
- Rotary cutter, mat & quilters rulers
- Sequin pins
- 2m x 25mm Grosgrain ribbon - red
- 1 roll Offray 6mm Satin ribbon - red
- Tape measure
Read all instructions carefully before commencing the project.
- Arrange fabrics in preferred order, e.g Fabric A - white/Fabric B - red/Fabric C- white or Fabric A - red/ Fabric B - white/ Fabric C - red.
- From each of the fabrics cut the following 2 1/2" (6cm) squaresFabric A 8 x 2 1/2" squares, Fabric B 16 x 2 1/2" squares, Fabric C 16 x 2 1/2" squares.
1. Take one Fabric A square and to find the centre point, fold in half and finger press along one diagonal. Open out and fold along the other diagonal.
Open out and insert a pin into the centre from the wrong side. Push the pin into the top of the decofoam ball - Photo 1.
2. Fold into a triangle along diagonal, take left point, fold down and pin into ball - Photo 2.
Take the right point, fold down and pin into ball creating a diamond shape - Photo 3.
3. Repeat steps 1-3 three more times around the top to create first round - Photo 4.
5. Take one Fabric B square, finger press along diagonals to find centre and insert pin from wrong side. Measure down 1cm from top between diamonds, push pin into ball through all layers and repeat steps 2 and 3 - Photo 5.
6. Repeat step 5 seven more times around to complete second round.
7. Take one Fabric C square, finger press along diagonals to find centre and insert pin from wrong side. Locate the 'V' formed by rounds 1 and 2, and push pin into the ball through all layers and repeat steps 2 and 3 - Photo 6.
8. Repeat step 7 seven more times around to complete third round.
9. Turn ball up the other way and repeat steps 1-8.
10. To cover the exposed edges of fabric, pin one raw edge of 25mm grosgrain ribbon across the centre of the ball then wrap firmly around the centre. Cut off excess ribbon leaving 1cm to turn under. Turn end under and pin into ball.
11. Cut a 12" (30cm) length of 6mm satin ribbon to make a loop for hanging. Overlap ends by 1.5cm and pin into top of ball over grosgrain ribbon.
12. Make as many baubles as desired. These make a great handmade Christmas gift.