What kinds of curtain fabrics can I purchase at Spotlight?
Spotlight stocks a huge range of curtain fabrics including sheer fabrics, plain and printed curtain fabrics, jacquard (woven) fabrics, kids fabrics and also thermal and blackout fabrics. In addition, you can buy magic drape fabric, which comes complete with eyelet or curtain tape headings, and just needs hemming on the sides and at the bottom for quick and easy curtains.
Which type of curtain fabric do you recommend?
Different rooms in the house will benefit from different curtains, and the various fabrics have different properties. Here are a few:
- Jacquard fabric: For your living area or dining room, you may want to use a good quality jacquard fabric. Jacquard fabric looks elegant and drapes well. It is also available in a range of colours in plain fabrics, as well as in various designs to suit all styles of interior. Jacquard fabrics have their design woven into the fabric rather than printed on it.
- Printed fabric: This style of fabric can be uncoated or coated. Coated fabrics may have been treated to give them blackout or blockout properties, for insulation (thermal) or even to be fire retardant. They are available in many colours and designs.
- Blockout curtain fabric: Blockout curtains provides extra privacy for your home and reduces outside noise so you can maintain peace and quiet through the day. The layered coating adhered to the fabric lining blocks out light and helps keep the warmth in during Winter and heat out during Summer for year around comfort.
- Room darkening fabric: Bedroom curtains that benefit from blackout or block-out lining will make the room darker, so if this is important to you, keep those fabrics in mind. Sometimes the darkening is achieved by various coats of acrylic on the reverse, sometimes the fabric may consist of different layers, also called Triple Weave.
- Kids curtain fabric: For kids bedrooms, you will find both uncoated and blockout fabrics in a range of colourful designs, including several popular Disney and other film or cartoon images.
- Magic drape: This fabric, also available by the metre like the other fabrics mentioned easlier, has either eyelets or curtain heading tape already fitted at the top of the curtain, which is the side of the fabric when it comes off the roll. The maximum length of a magic drape is therefore the width of the roll (usually 250 cm). Sides and bottom can be hemmed by sewing, or by using a double-sided adhesive tape for a no-sew curtain.
In addition to the many fabrics described here, Spotlight also offers a range of thin voile and netting type fabrics to make sheer curtains, mosquito nets, princess beds and more.
What about curtain linings and other essentials?
If you want to line your curtains, you will find a number of options for curtain lining sold by the metre at Spotlight, this includes great options such as thermal and blackout linings.
Other essentials for the creation of curtains, such as header tape, hooks, eyes, and even tracks and curtain poles, are also all available from Spotlight, so you will be able to complete your curtain making project from start to finish.